cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Creo: Feature Request: Multithreading

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Creo: Feature Request: Multithreading

Hi there,

while waiting for a complex part to regenerate, I 've got some time to write this text.

In January 2006 Intel introduced its "Core Duo". I think this was the first (consumer) processor with more than one core per socket. The multi-core race of the last years gave us cpus with core counts up to 64 cores (e.g. AMD Threadripper).

In the meantime (about 16 years) PTC decided to keep its flag ship CAD - Software single threaded.

My request for Creo is to get finally some benefit of multi-core cpus.

Until then, I watch Creo being stuck at about 6% CPU utilization on my 16 Core machine. 

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Mat)

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomU)

thanks for the link (of course i placed a +1).

But the product idea is 10 years old. So I take this as a "no" from PTC.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

how do you imagine multithreading in a feature-based model where child features are dependent on their parents ?

Martin Hanák
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

There are some aspects of Creo that are multi-threaded: shaded image generation and NC toolpath generation come to mind.

With any hierarchical feature based modeller, how do you do multithreading when each feature is built on the prior feature? You cannot just regenerate feature 202 without regenerating features 1-201 first. (Well, PTC does use markers, so Creo can actually do that, but that is different.)

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Creo isn't exclusively "single threaded". Over the years PTC has added support for multi-threading where it could do so.

Of course we all wish they would do more and do it quicker. My customers all want  me to make my products lighter with increased functionality...sometimes I can accomodate, sometimes I can't.

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS115541

Top Tags