cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Creo PDF export doesnt scale line weights

abassett
1-Newbie

Creo PDF export doesnt scale line weights

When we export a PDF, we have the line weights correct, but when you view the PDF and zoom for detail, the line weights do not auto scale, the become very large and muddy. Is there a way to export to PDF so the line weights automatically scale when viewing?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
11 REPLIES 11
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:abassett)

The lines look wider when you zoom in because ... you're zoomed in. To see the lines stay at a fixed width regardless of zoom, turn off line weights in Adobe Acrobat Reader. (CRTL + 5)

Tom U.

mlocascio
4-Participant

Interesting question. PDF's are typically created as a "snapshot." Changing
the lineweights to something scalable would be a reasonable request. I have
not seen an option like that.

Michael P. Locascio

Additionally to what Tom said, I plot my pdf's full size. An E size is 34x44, D is 22x34, etc. So when you zoom up, you are seeing exactly what will print out.

David Haigh

Tom U. You're a life saver, we have been trying to work this issue out, we considered it an issue in Creo, we have tried ever setting we could. Thank you for this so very simple shortcut.

In Reply to Tom Uminn:

The lines look wider when you zoom in because ... you're zoomed in. To see the lines stay at a fixed width regardless of zoom, turn off line weights in Adobe Acrobat Reader. (CRTL + 5)

Tom U.

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Agree, great tip. We had ended up using pen table files to make lines
thin enough. Then it becomes a battle of becoming too faint on an
actual printout. I have found that Tom's tip also works for
PDFX-viewer. We use that software because you can do some minor editing
and redlining. And it doesn't want to be updated every 3 days.

Mark Steffke

We've had issues with line width on some of our PDF's for many decades now,
here and in industry in general.

There are several schools of thought on the subject and no one seems to
want to come to agreement on a proper approach to this problem.

There is one work around I like to use when PDF's with unreasonably thin
line thickness are created. When I send a PDF to a Plotter, I set the
minimum line thickness to about 7, in the Plotter's Print GUI. I've had to
continue to use an older print driver to give me this capability as it
seems that some of the newer ones seem to have left out this important
setting.

I know there are other settings in the Adobe interface that allow you to
create PDF's with more reasonable line thickness, but more and more our
outputs are becoming controlled by policy and we may no longer have these
settings available to us in some installations.

In summary, I've taken the personal approach that you can argue all you
want about line weights and I will still be able to supply readable prints
to my customers... as long as I can still pick my own Printer Driver.

Just my two cents,
Glen R Wisham
Engineering
EW Design and Analysis
Space and Airborne Systems
Raytheon Company

+1 805.879.3359(office)
+1 805.879.3017(fax)
561.3359(tie line)
-

6380 Hollister Avenue
Goleta CA 93117-3114 USA
www.raytheon.com

Follow Raytheon On
TwitterYouTubeFacebookLinkedIn

Raytheon Sustainability

This message contains information that may be confidential and privileged.
Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive mail for the
addressee), you should not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or
any information contained in this message. If you have received this
message in error, please so advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Tom,
This is a magnificent tip! I feel like I've been thrust into sunshine after living in a cave...

Thanks,
James

Thanks for the great info, Tom. Is there a way to print the document with the with the line weights turned off.
I just did a quick experiment and the print output remained the same either on and off.

Thank you,
Jerry

Jerry Elpedes

Design Development Engineering Supervisor

Trijicon, Inc.

248-960-7700 Ext.1130

49385 Shafer Avenue | P.O. Box 930059

Wixom, Michigan 48393 US

- | www.trijicon.com

We use Stroke all Fonts.

Bryan Bruder

>
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Not that I know of. The setting only affects the display on the screen.

Tom U.

The particular problem is not certain from your description, but here's what happens with PTC output.

PDF has the ability to set the scale of the output, but PTC choses not to use it**. Instead PTC pre-scales the coordinates of the output, but they do not scale the widths of the curves. This means that large areas plotted to small pages directly from ProE will have lines that are that are not proportional. The cure is to always plot to the full scale output and use a PDF viewer to perform the scaling.

In addition, it is the norm that if a pentable is invoked, any directly applied line widths will be ignored.

On the Adobe end of things, there are two modes. In one, Acrobat or Reader will ignore assigned thicknesses, which compensates for this defect in PTC's output. In the other, the thicknesses are shown as the document has them.Various versions of Reader and Acrobat have had various names for this mode.

If sent to Postscript interpreters, Adobe software defaults to plotting at least a minimum thickness. If you ask for a line that is 1/1000 inch wide it will be 1/300 inch on a 300dpi printer and 1/600 inch on a 600dpi printer. On screen it will either be anti-aliased (because most screens have been much lower dpi) or set to 1 pixel, depending on the mode.

PTC also defaults to flintstone style stroke terminators - to make smooth letters, the setlinecap and setlinejoin should both be 1. As can be seen in Postscript output they choose the least attractive combination: stumped caps and beveled joins. They chose to not fix the Postscript output up to WF5, but did include settings for PDF output.

I recommend reading Adobe's The PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook (aka Blue Book), available at no cost at the Adobe PostScript SDK Archive. I also saw a government site that may have a download in a Google search for "Adobe Blue Book"

**The default unit in Postscript and PDF is 1/72 inch. In the Postscript header PTC uses "72 72 scale" to move it from 1/72 inch units to inch units. It would be trivial to also include a scale modifier for scaling the contents of the page, but PTC choses not to. I can think of no reason for wanting to force the width of lines to remain constant regardless of the scale of the image. Perhaps there is one, but most people think it just makes the drawing look screwed up.PTC compiles the Postscript header and footer into their software, limiting the ability to fix the setlinejoin and setlinecap.

This scaling defect led me to create thin_pen settings so that D-Size drawings could be directly printed to the A-sized DEC LN03 Postscript printer in a minute or so rather than wait 20 minutes for the Draftmaster to drag a pen around the paper. This was before Acrobat was available. As too often happens, a tool developed to compensate for a defect ends up being used to create defective products after the circumstances change - in this case drawings that are unreadable unless the 'ignore line thickness' mode of Acrobat or Reader is turned on, because the line width is too small. It's a good thing Adobe is there to cover for bad use of a good tool.

Top Tags