cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo Parametric 2.0 how to create "old angle offset" assembly constraint?

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

Creo Parametric 2.0 how to create "old angle offset" assembly constraint?

I had a user attempting to dimension pattern a component assembled (in Creo Parametric 2.0) with these constraints:
1. Coincident - align axis in component with an axis in the assembly
2. Angle Offset - angle between dtm plane A in component and dtm plane B in assembly
3. Distance - distance between dtm plane C in component and dtm plane D in assembly

The desired pattern is a 2 direction pattern with the first direction dimension being the angle in constraint 2 and the second direction dimension being the distance in constraint 3. When creating the pattern and attempting to select the angle offset dimension Creo Parametric responds with this message:
"Cannot select this dimension to patternize the selected feature"

Searching for this message on PTC leads to this:

Description Angle Offset dimension cannot be selected when trying to pattern a component assembly and error messager is shown : /Cannot select this dimension to patternize the selected feature/
Applies To Creo Parametric 2.0 all datecodes
Cause
Resolution

* Reported to R&D as SPR 2178832
* Works to pr...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:RandyJones)

Doesn’t the answer to your question lie in patterning objects along a curve?

Michael P. Locascio

Hi Randy,

Wonder why they add a specification like "New angle offset constraint type cannot be patterened".
I think that's because Creo needs a fixed axis of revolution.
Assume you want the axis to lie where the two datums meet. When changing the offset value the axis location would actually move along the assembly datum and would even disappear with an Angle Offset of 0 or 180 degrees.
So you need to speciffy another axis to revolve around. That could become rather complicated with a specific Constraint Set.

And I believe, in your case, your first constraint (align axis to an axis) becomes invalid when the Angle offset dimension would need to rotate the part away from the axis.

I did some testing In Creo 2.0 M120 and when using the Angle Offset constraint for a component the Dimension pattern is actually greyed out. Can't be selected.

Kind regards,

Olaf Corten

Olaf Corten | CAD/PLM Manager

Besi Netherlands B.V. | Ratio 6| 6921RW Duiven| The Netherlands
T: +31 26 3196215 | M: +31 644548554
- | www.besi.com

To: "-" <->
Date: 30-10-2014 22:19
Subject: [proecad] - Creo Parametric 2.0 how to create "old angle offset" assembly constraint?

I had a user attempting to dimension pattern a component assembled (in Creo Parametric 2.0) with these constraints:
1. Coincident - align axis in component with an axis in the assembly
2. Angle Offset - angle between dtm plane A in component and dtm plane B in assembly
3. Distance - distance between dtm plane C in component and dtm plane D in assembly

The desired pattern is a 2 direction pattern with the first direction dimension being the angle in constraint 2 and the second direction dimension being the distance in constraint 3. When creating the pattern and attempting to select the angle offset dimension Creo Parametric responds with this message:
"Cannot select this dimension to patternize the selected feature"

Searching for this message on PTC leads to this:

So how do you create the "old angle offset" constraint referred to in this article?

The desired pattern in this case is a helical pattern around and along a shaft. So the pattern drives the component angularly around the shaft and the distance drives the component along the shaft.

What I had the us...

Top Tags