cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creo Sketcher. Why does it allow me to construct multiple edges on same edge?

dunebuggyjay
12-Amethyst

Creo Sketcher. Why does it allow me to construct multiple edges on same edge?

Hi Guys,

One thing that always kind of bugs me in Creo was when in sketcher, trying to sketch an extrude or something. 

When selecting an existing edge ...why does Creo let you pick the same edge more than once? (using project in sketcher)

When that happens you no longer have a closed sketch, and have to remove it. 

In other software I use, if you click an edge to use in your sketch, it sketches it. If you clicked that same edge again (say by accident) , it would removed it.

So there was never a time it would have multiple sketched features one on top of another. 

Is there a setting to not allow you to have multiple edges of the same edge in your sketch.

Maybe its the way I am used to sketching things, but i have NEVER had the need or want to have the same edge picked more than once when in sketcher. 

dunebuggyjay_0-1645807988999.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:StephenW)

Hello @dunebuggyjay 

In addition to Overlapping Geometry tool (Thanks @kdirth to have pointed that out!), you may like also accessing Feature Requirements icon in Sketcher, which will indicate, in addition to where overlapping entities lie, why it is an issue in the context of feature being created. Related to that, refer to:

• little movie attached for better understading
  • article 182581 for offical documentation and other useful sketcher diagnostic tools techniques

Regards,

Serge

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:dunebuggyjay)

I often select twice to use more than one segment of the edge.  I use the corner command to trim the lines to other lines.

I may also find that I need another segment after trimming the first projection...

kdirth_0-1645810402066.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.

True, I do the same, BUT when I click the segment of the line for the next triangle, its in a different position on that line. Not right on top of the original segment I had first selected.

I guess you could select that line 3 times in the exact same spot before you construct anything, but in my mind, that would be an odd way of doing that sketch.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dunebuggyjay)

I agree that when you accidentally pick a edge twice, it's a pain.

I do however used multiple picks when I am trimming sketched lines. It always easier than divide since i'm usually trimming multiple times.

But when you are picking 20 projected lines and accidentally pick one twice, it's an adventure to find that one duplicate.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

This tool in sketcher helps to find that duplicate (overlapping) line:

kdirth_0-1645815788011.png

I have noticed that it usually highlights the overlap and the segments on either side.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:kdirth)

I think that may prove to be very helpful. I enjoy the section fill and the open endpoint highlight.

Thanks

sacquarone
20-Turquoise

Hello @dunebuggyjay 

In addition to Overlapping Geometry tool (Thanks @kdirth to have pointed that out!), you may like also accessing Feature Requirements icon in Sketcher, which will indicate, in addition to where overlapping entities lie, why it is an issue in the context of feature being created. Related to that, refer to:

• little movie attached for better understading
  • article 182581 for offical documentation and other useful sketcher diagnostic tools techniques

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags