cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo Won't pattern the geometry

jbrown-4
1-Newbie

Creo Won't pattern the geometry

I have created the geometry that I need for a model but need to pattern it 10 by 62.

For some reason Creo will not successfully pattern it no matter what I try.

I have  tried patterning it in smaller chunks like 10 by 3 and tried rearranging the features but it still will not work.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the model for anyone who wishes to try and resolve the problem to use.

thanks,

Jed

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14

Hi Jed,

don't think you can pattern a shell, insert above it and it will work in the front direction.

the right direction failed something to do with the rounds.

With that said, I refrained from clicking on the green check-mark.

I drive a rocket and it would still be very painful to watch 6200+ features regenerate.

And adding the shell on the back end will be a beast, that's a lot of surfaces to click on.

is the finish deal 620 separate parts?

do they bang into each other making a single part?

not knowing the answer to the question above, the attached model is what I would call

"no time, just make it work"

to keep the file size down some features were suppress and you have to resume them.

good luck

Hey, yeah I have been having issues with the rounds in particular and yes they intersect and form one solid sheet. the spacing is 40 and 100 respectively.

The file you sent appears to be coping much better with the patterns. I have edited the pattern spacing and so far it appears to be working up to a pattern of 10x20 but any larger and it appears to be struggling.

Thanks for the help though, it is a definite improvement

Jed,

I suggest you to use Geometry Pattern. See uploaded data created in CR2 M070.

• I created new block.asm
  • I assembled your block.prt
  • I made a copy of block.prt, named it block2.prt and removed all but first 4 features from it
  • I assembled block2.prt
  • I copied boundary surfaces of block.prt's geometry into block2.prt
  • I solidified surface geometry in block2.prt
  • I created Directional pattern of surface quilt in block2.prt
  • I created reference pattern of Solidify feature in block2.prt

MH

Martin Hanák

Thanks for the advice, I had also tried geometry patterns. By Geometry patterning in sets of 2 repeatedly I was able to double each time up to a pattern of 32 rows which is much closer than I had previously reached.

I will keep working at it and try out your suggestions.

Jed,

I tested component patterning in the assembly. 40x100 pattern can be created in couple of seconds.

MH

Martin Hanák

Hi,

Thanks Martin, that model appears to be working much better and I have been able to edit the pattern dimensions to fit my needs. The model itself is one continuous sheet, however I can't seem to solidify the assembly and so the individual blocks all appear separate?

Jed

Jed,

I think it is impossible to create single part containing 4000 instances of your base shape. Resulting geometry is too complex for Creo. Your base shape is composed by 10 feature. 4000 instances means 40.000 features. I have never seen model containing such huge feature quantity...

I am sorry, I do not have any other idea.

MH

Martin Hanák
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:MartinHanak)

I think it's not that it can't do it, it's if you want to wait for it.

Hi Jed, try this

create a new assembly

assembly your block model as is

create and assemble a new part

in the assembly, active the new part

copy&paste the solid surfaces of the block model and solidify

group the copy and the solidify

pattern the group

I went for 10x62 in my test assembly/part, it worked...but...1866 features....very nasty lots of white and not responding

the upside is it worked.

10x31 was smooth under a minute to regenerate and a copy solid surfaces, move copy and solidify to make 62 works good.

I would have attached the model but it got a bit on the large side

good luck

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:jbrown-4)

I looked at it a couple times, and I'm not sure if the stacked groups is helping or hurting. I started to model it as one part, with the base one feature (size of the pattern), make the large part the full length, and pattern it one direction, etc. But I gave up, even that was taking some time.

Jose_Costa
6-Contributor
(To:jbrown-4)

You can try this method but it stills takes some minutes to regenerate and you will get a 275 MB file:

1.png

1 - Copy all the surfaces.

Select one surface, RMB, Solid sufaces, copy, paste ok.

2 - Pattern the quilt.

Select the quilt, do a pattern in two directions, and select "Identical" on Options tab, ok.

3 - Get rid of the solid.

Do a extrude cutting out the solid geometry (not the patterned quilts).

4 - Solidify and pattern.

Select the first instance of the previous pattern and select "solidify", then "pattern" (by reference).

Take a cup of coffee now.

Hide the surfaces and it's done.

Something similar to this:

http://www.e-cognition.net/pages/TurboPattern.html

Jose

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Jose_Costa)

Yes, this is the same method I just tried except I skipped step #3.  Re-solidifying the first surface over the existing solid geometry in step #4 works just fine.  I ended up with 1260 features.  Total regeneration time was 3 minutes, 45 seconds.  The one other thing I had to do was change the model's accuracy to absolute.  The quilts would no longer solidify as the model's size increased with the accuracy left at relative.

pattern1.PNG

Creo 3 model is attached.  I compressed it with 7zip.  (2 MB as .7z vs. 24 MB .zip)  Both are attached.

Just exit insert mode and let it churn.  Final file size is 430 MB and uses about 3 GB of RAM.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:TomU)

Tom,

please can you publish HW configuration of your PC ?

MH

Martin Hanák
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MartinHanak)

It's a Gruman Creations GC-i7K4.  Currently number three on the Ocus Benchmark site:

ocus.PNG

Mine is actually a little older.  The new ones we're buying now are the GCi7K4-2 (AIR).

Top Tags