cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creo Parametric lagging on a brand new CAD laptop

JM_10079091
1-Newbie

Creo Parametric lagging on a brand new CAD laptop

I am using Creo Parametric 6.0 6.0.6.0

I have a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad (7 weeks old, 11th Gen Intel Core 2.40GHz, 16.0GB RAM) and have been trying to use Creo Parametric to work on some products at my new job; unfortunately, the software doesn’t seem to want to run at all and is extremely slow and laggy on the PC. I can just about open a model but orbiting/ panning too quickly will make the program crash and freeze. It is incredibly slow to implement and view changes.

On this laptop, I also have NX 11 and Solidworks installed, which are CAD packages with similar requirements to Creo (possibly even higher), and they can run with no problem, so I do know this issue is Creo specific. I am working on these packages at the moment whilst I look at fixing Creo, but would prefer to be working in a compatible environment to my colleagues.

Fixes I have tried: I have attempted to rewrite my ‘config’ file to change some key settings (an experienced colleague's recommendation) but with no luck. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Creo and also tried out an earlier version (6.0 rather than 8.0) but neither of these methods have worked either. I wonder if there is any setting in the software itself that might help with how much RAM/ graphics it is allocated etc?

I would really appreciate any tips or guidance on how I might improve this situation as I am keen to keep working on my company software as soon as possible. Thanks very much!

6 REPLIES 6
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:JM_10079091)

Try checking your graphics card driver version. The latest version may not be the one PTC (or Siemens or Dassault) certified for the version of software you are using. You may also find that one of the other vendors has done a better job of integrating the graphics drivers than PTC has. Roll back to a certified PTC driver for you card and see what happens. It may still work well with NX and SW.

You did not say what graphics card you have in your laptop. Intel integrated graphics chips are usually NOT supported.

Hi,

add following option at the end of config.pro using Notepad.

graphics  win32_gdi

Then start Creo and test its behaviour. If your problems disappear then you have to find the graphic card driver. When test is finished remove the above mentioned option.

Martin Hanák

I am using Creo Parametric 6.0 6.0.6.0

I have a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad (7 weeks old, 11th Gen Intel Core 2.40GHz, 16.0GB RAM) and have been trying to use Creo Parametric to work on some products at my new job; unfortunately, the software doesn’t seem to want to run at all and is extremely slow and laggy on the PC. I can just about open a model but orbiting/ panning too quickly will make the program crash and freeze. It is incredibly slow to implement and view changes. On this laptop, I also have NX 11 and Solidworks installed, which are CAD packages with similar requirements to Creo (possibly even higher), and they can run with no problem, so I do know this issue is Creo specific. I have tried to change my ‘config’ file to one similar to my colleague’s, with no luck, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled Creo and also tried out an earlier version (6.0 rather than 8.0) but neither of these methods have worked either. I would really appreciate any tips or guidance on how I might improve this situation as I am keen to keep working on my company software as soon as possible. Thanks very much!

Others will likely say similar things, but if you do a search for Creo slow laptop you'll find that a majority of the time the problem is graphics drivers. They either need to be updated or there's a specific one that works best, etc. Even a brand new computer often can have older drivers because the "package" the builder uses to set up the computer isn't necessarily the latest up-to-date set, etc.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Did you try the suggestion on your other post https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Creo-Parametric-lagging-on-a-brand-new-CAD-laptop/m-p/753553

Add the graphics  win32_gdi to your config.pro and see if that solves your problem. If it does, it means you  have a graphics card issue, try updating to a new graphics card driver or an approved driver if your system/card is PTC certified. Remove the graphics option before retesting graphics card drivers.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Do not start a second thread with the same question.

Read the responses to the same topic you started yesterday.

Top Tags