cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Creo .frm and .drw / image disappears

Model_1975
10-Marble

Creo .frm and .drw / image disappears

I would like to know why my image in my frame (.frm) keeps disappearing.

The failure keeps coming and going and I can´t tell what the cause is. It is the same with drawings (.drw) when I insert an photo or image it may be lost by the next opening of the file. When I insert and image in a .frm it may be gone sometime and / or when I insert and image into an .drw I may be gone too. For .drw I recognized that not all pictures disappear. For example when I have 4 sheets in one .drw and sheet 2, 3 and 4 include images and the images on sheet 4 disappear the sheets 2 and 3 mostly (8/10) still having their images. In the object overview (.frm) in the layout tab I can see the object but not visually in the drawing area. I only can see a single "drag-point" outside of the frame / drawing (See attached screenshot). When I push the cursor above the point it shows me the vertical draging arrows but the point is completly frozen onto the layer and will not move whatsoever. 

How I insert an image into a frame or drawing:

When opened the .frm or .drw I go Layout-Insert-Object - Create new - Type of object - Paintbrush-picture

After inserting I drag it into the right position and size. We know that the picture is on the drawing layer. A table for example is just seen as a frame which got put "around" the picture and its not attached to the cell or the table at all. The file is either an .jpg or .png

What I tried so far:

- I saved the picture which I inserted in the same directory as the drawing. I dont know if the picture is saved in the file or if its referenced (similiar to an .asm)

-  Search the "object options" for resetting or getting this image back. Sometimes creo is doing its own kind of things (at least it seems like this but probably I am not having creo under full control)

Until a few months ago I used creo 6.0.4.0 on another computer. This problem didnt happened there. Only with the new computer and the new 9.0.4.0 it started. I somewhere read that I could be cause by the graphic drivers which I could check for updates (unlikely reason) but I would like to read your opinion first and if its known. I so far didn´t found any similar topic in this forum.

What annoys me the most is that I have to save each and every time when I insert the image again to export the drawing for example as and .pdf. Worst case the next time its (visually) gone and I have to repeat the insert and save process. While doing this I collect many "useless" file stands which are really not worth taking separately.

thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
13 REPLIES 13
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Model_1975)

Do you have SAVE_TEXTURE_WITH_MODEL set to YES in your config file.  With it set to NO (default), only the location of the image file is saved.  If the image is moved, deleted, or on a different computer, it will not be found.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just checked it and it was set to "yes". 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Are you using your config.pro file(s) from creo 6 in creo 9?

There is a config.pro option "save_texture_with_model" that by default is set to no. To keep your embedded images, you will need to add the option and set to yes.

I don't remember right off hand if there were other settings.

No, I dont use the config files from creo 6 in creo 9 - it was a new setup.

@Model_1975 wrote:

I would like to know why my image in my frame (.frm) keeps disappearing.

The failure keeps coming and going and I can´t tell what the cause is. It is the same with drawings (.drw) when I insert an photo or image it may be lost by the next opening of the file. When I insert and image in a .frm it may be gone sometime and / or when I insert and image into an .drw I may be gone too. For .drw I recognized that not all pictures disappear. For example when I have 4 sheets in one .drw and sheet 2, 3 and 4 include images and the images on sheet 4 disappear the sheets 2 and 3 mostly (8/10) still having their images. In the object overview (.frm) in the layout tab I can see the object but not visually in the drawing area. I only can see a single "drag-point" outside of the frame / drawing (See attached screenshot). When I push the cursor above the point it shows me the vertical draging arrows but the point is completly frozen onto the layer and will not move whatsoever. 

How I insert an image into a frame or drawing:

When opened the .frm or .drw I go Layout-Insert-Object - Create new - Type of object - Paintbrush-picture

After inserting I drag it into the right position and size. We know that the picture is on the drawing layer. A table for example is just seen as a frame which got put "around" the picture and its not attached to the cell or the table at all. The file is either an .jpg or .png

What I tried so far:

- I saved the picture which I inserted in the same directory as the drawing. I dont know if the picture is saved in the file or if its referenced (similiar to an .asm)

-  Search the "object options" for resetting or getting this image back. Sometimes creo is doing its own kind of things (at least it seems like this but probably I am not having creo under full control)

Until a few months ago I used creo 6.0.4.0 on another computer. This problem didnt happened there. Only with the new computer and the new 9.0.4.0 it started. I somewhere read that I could be cause by the graphic drivers which I could check for updates (unlikely reason) but I would like to read your opinion first and if its known. I so far didn´t found any similar topic in this forum.

What annoys me the most is that I have to save each and every time when I insert the image again to export the drawing for example as and .pdf. Worst case the next time its (visually) gone and I have to repeat the insert and save process. While doing this I collect many "useless" file stands which are really not worth taking separately.

thanks in advance.

Hi,

please create testing data set, pack files into single zip file and upload it.

Martin Hanák

I uploaded a simple test data set. 

It consists of:

2 jpgs

2 pngs

1 prt

1 frm

1 drw

I inserted two images (one jpg and one png) into the frame and again one of each type on the first sheet of the drawing. The 2nd drawing is just the simple frame without any new content. I hope it helps.

@Model_1975 wrote:

I uploaded a simple test data set. 

It consists of:

2 jpgs

2 pngs

1 prt

1 frm

1 drw

I inserted two images (one jpg and one png) into the frame and again one of each type on the first sheet of the drawing. The 2nd drawing is just the simple frame without any new content. I hope it helps.

Hi,

I can see all images in my Creo 9.0.2.0.

Suggestion:

Add graphics win32_gdi option into config.pro temporarily and open test drawing. If images are visible then the problem is related to graphic card drivers. Remove graphics win32_gdi option and install different version of graphic card drivers.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

thanks for your feedback - unfortunately I dont know how to add such a option to the config.pro (I am not very expierienced in working with the config.pro). From my understanding the config.pro gets build / set up by each start and consists of those sub files from the folders 00-90 (apps, basic, mapkey, ...). Do you have a link or an description how to insert such an option?

I maybe got another reason for error. Creo is using a network license model where we had to implement a kind of license server which creo is connecting to work properly/to get license and other settings from (config.pro...). On my "old" setup this license server was installed locally on my pc. Now - when I am using frames or opening drawings with frames which are saved not local on my pc could this be a problem that in the process maybe some information get lost? I dont know if the frame is saved in the drawing file seperatly or if its linked to the original frame (user formats).

I will test some samples and wait for further instructions.

@Model_1975 wrote:

Hi,

thanks for your feedback - unfortunately I dont know how to add such a option to the config.pro (I am not very expierienced in working with the config.pro). From my understanding the config.pro gets build / set up by each start and consists of those sub files from the folders 00-90 (apps, basic, mapkey, ...). Do you have a link or an description how to insert such an option?

I maybe got another reason for error. Creo is using a network license model where we had to implement a kind of license server which creo is connecting to work properly/to get license and other settings from (config.pro...). On my "old" setup this license server was installed locally on my pc. Now - when I am using frames or opening drawings with frames which are saved not local on my pc could this be a problem that in the process maybe some information get lost? I dont know if the frame is saved in the drawing file seperatly or if its linked to the original frame (user formats).

I will test some samples and wait for further instructions.

Hi,

1.]

It will be best if you contact a more experienced colleague in your company and ask him to help you add graphics win32_gdi option into config.pro temporarily.

2.]

Network license model does not affect the display of images.

Martin Hanák
kdirth
20-Turquoise

You can find the config.pro in the start-up directory (default working directory.  Open it with a text editor and add the line graphics win32_gdi to the top of the file (to make it easy to find) and save.  Restart Creo.

kdirth_0-1695386957637.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Hello @Model_1975 

This behavior is reported as a SPR and documented in an article  CS398628  

@Abhiram_Pande wrote:

Hello @Model_1975 

This behavior is reported as a SPR and documented in an article  CS398628  

Hi,

CS398628 is not accessible.

Martin Hanák
Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration