cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Dating a Drawing

FrankMcDougle
1-Newbie

Dating a Drawing

Can anyone tell me what the text string is I would place on a drawing format that prints the date on the print-out of when the drawing was sent to the printer. I know this can be done, we did it at another company using Pro-E many years ago. Thanks
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14

The text string generally used is &todays_date (lower case). If placed on the Format ahead of time it has to be in a one-cell Table to automatically fill itself out, but this will record the initiation date of the Drawing, not some later date when you send it to the printer. At that time you can add the string to a note to record the later date.

David there is some way to accomplish this. We use to get a print out that would show our name the printer that printed the page and the date of printing. I'll have to look again maybe its in the print setup of the printer that we select at time of printing. Either in Pro or in the printer itself. If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks I've been using the &todays_date for 15 years +.

In the print configuration dialog box Check for the Label include option - uncheck the box if you don't need the printer info (default is unchecked). Hope this helps..

Frank My printer has a watermark function that you access under the advanced printer config. Under that watermark I can choose timestamp. Therefore I would search your printer setup for something with timestamp. Eric

thanks fellows

Frank, if you Could you let us know how you could solve your issue that would be really very helpful to everyone.. Printing issue .. -Chander.

Did not solve it

I received an email from Pro about planetPTC and saw I never got back to this posting after I found an answer.

So I'll give you what I now have for "Dating a Drawing"

I'm using WF4 but I think it should be the same for most versions.

To had a date stamp to your drawing. It's built into Pro-E's print configuration.

When you select print, the first window opens, select configure, find the Label selection and pick the include. That will open the Height setting which will let you set the label height.

It prints on the lower left of your formate.

The Offset just above the Label selection will set the location of your drawing on the paper. Mine kept printing very close to one edge and I offset the drawing so it moved over a bit and gave me more white space around the border.

These settings will need to be set every time. So after I was happy with my settings I opened a drawing with multiple sheets, started a map key and went through all the settings including the drawing size, Sheets ALL, offset and also included a refit.

We print all our drawings to A size and by including the drawing size in the map key I am able to print c-size drawings to the a-size paper using the same mapkey. I have one map key that prints all sheets and one map key that prints only one sheet.

Hope this helps some of you Newbies and a few Oldies.

See Ya

Frank

This label / time stamp is a pretty nice feature, thanks for bring it to my attention.

However.... why is it positioned outside of the drawing format? (I know you can offset the print view but thats not a very good solution.)

Anyway to position the time stamp?

I don't know for sure why it’s located outside the boarder. Possibly because the date stamp is not really part of the drawing content and placing it outside makes it kind of unofficial. I'm just guessing. And haven’t seen anything at this time on how we might place it in another location.

Frank

I just don't understand it. Like a lot of Pro/E features and issues.

Its something that can only been seen once printed YET it is OUTSIDE the printable area. Its bloody ridiculous if you ask me. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with this product.

All I want to do is generate a date at print time, and creation time OUTSIDE of a table cell. You wouldn't think that would be too difficult from a CAD package but over 10 years of using and I still haven't found an elegant way of doing this.

Frustrated is not the word.

Funny, I did a search before I just posted a similar question and came up empty, entered my post and saw "similar posts" and here is a very similar question. It doesn't look like it's been completly answered though, especially now that I'm running Creo 2. Any new input?

Okay, in annotation, typing "&todays_date" does enter the current system date, so that's a start. Is there a similar command for time and filename?

Bruce

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:BPapp)

Bruce,

you can use following drawing system parameters

&model_name

&type

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Even the most rudimentary CAD programs have this. Sheesh.

Top Tags