cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Datum Plane Tag Display

hadfieb
1-Newbie

Datum Plane Tag Display

Howdy, I have a part in which I have created a datum plane to use for GD&T. I renamed it "A". I then set the datum and a datum tag appears. I move to the drawing and I can do everything I need to do. I choose to layer off all datums so the drawing always looks right regardless of you turning datums on or off.

But I can't seem toturn off thedisplay this datum tag of the plane in the part and any subsequent assemblies using this part. If I suppress the datum or hide the datum it disappears on the drawing. Putting the annotation feature created during the set datum on a layer and turning that layer off doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hey Brad, Iam having the same problem. Nobody has answered you in over a week.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:hadfieb)

Was this Creo 2? PTC, the changers of stuff that works, decided to change the way GD&T works with layers. No longer can you add GD&T datum planes to a layer and turn them off. Their recommend method it detailed in a TPI using combined states.
[cid:image001.png@01CE9F49.E629C850]
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:hadfieb)

Thanks Terry,
We did find this workaround also. Couple of things that need to be set correctly in the config.pro and the drawing setup file for this to work really nicely:

Config option:
Old_style_set_datum YES
This is the default setting so if you don't have it, you are able to use the "SET" instead of "SET DATUM TAG ANNOTATION".

Drawing setup file:
GTOL_DATUMS STD _ASME
If you are using the 1994 ASME Y14.5 or later, you will get the new datum style (with the triangle attachment) even if you set it as an old style datum in the model.

It works great and keeps the layer control of the datums available.

The way set datums should work is to only display Datum Feature Symbols at the level they are set at. An assembly model or drawing veiw of an assembly with no set datums at the assembly level would not display any of them, even if their components had them. This behavior would be in accordance with the 'Y14.5 series** of standards.Too bad PTC doesn't comply with the standards.

The use of layers to control Datum Feature Symbol visibility is a continuing hack that is costly to every organization that uses 'Y14.5.

**-1982, -1994, -2009. Still waiting.

Top Tags