cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailing corners after adding fillets

ptc-726111
1-Newbie

Detailing corners after adding fillets

I am sure this topic has been discussed many times, but with more companies using CAE/CAM, I would like to know what the standard practice is.

When detailing an injection-molded part, what is the best practice in dimensioning corners that have fillets added after the draft angle?

To illustrate the question, I modeled this simple part which is a thickened revolved surface. The first image has a draft angle added for release from the mold (.500" is to the sharp corners). After adding the fillets, the dimension no longer physically exists in the part.

To address this problem, a dimension (.624") tangent to the radius is added to the drawing. In a part with several features in the model tree, it becomes cumbersome to add several created dimensions. Is there a better way to do this? With a moldmaker's ability to use the CAD model as a reference when designing a model, is it necessary to add the created dimension?

For another example, suppose a chamfer of .060" X 45 deg has a fillet of .020" at both sharp corners. This erodes away much of the chamfer. How do others address the dimensioning sharp corners when rounds remove the reference to the sharp corner as shown in the JPG?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements