cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Diameter dimension in sketcher

KevinGarrett
1-Newbie

Diameter dimension in sketcher

Is there a way, when sketching a revolved protrusion, to get the default(shown) dimensions to display the diameter of the sketch instead of the radius?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

Shown dimensions show the number as it appears in the sketch. If you dimension your sketch as a diameter--- click sketched line, centerline, and then sketched line again--- you will be able to "show" it as a diameter.

What I mean is that when you sketch a revolved protrusion, Pro adds dimensions to the sketch from the centerline to the sketched line. I then must re-dimension the sketch to get the diameter, sketched line, centerline, and then sketched line again. It's this re-dimensioning that need to be avoided.

In the sketcher mode I have placed a point on the opposite side of the centerline, constrain it and the edge of the sketch where I wished to pull the diameter, then dimension between the points.

Oh, gotcha. Good idea. I just found this. Haven't tried it yet. According to p.141 of WF4 Config Options, add 'sketcher_dim_of_revolve_axis' to config.pro and set to YES. Description: If this option is set all dimensions created by Intent Manager to Axis of Revolution will be diameter dimensions. Give it a shot.

Willy, That config option is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I will try posting this elsewhere also, but just wondered. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all config options? Used to have one years ago, but cannot place it now. I am sure there have been additions over the years as well with the new revisions. Thanks !

They are on PTC's website.

WF4: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/65779/en/WF4.0_012408_configoptions.pdf

WF5: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/99859/en/WF5M060configoptions.pdf

Not sure if you need specific login access to get to the docs. If you do, let me know and I will see if I can upload them on to PlanetPTC

Paul,

I know you posted this back in 2010, but it is just what I was looking for today. The config options for WF4.0.

I was able to get to this without any problems.

Dennis

FYI, Creo does this by default now. It seems to re-evaluate the sketch each time you click the "add dimension" button. Once you add a proper centerline(*), it changes your radial intent dimensions to diameters. It does this with angles as well which is a nice improvement from 2000i.

(*) I didn't know we had dedicated centerlines for rotation in Creo (2000i didn't have this). Drove me nuts! ...but I understand why this was needed as you could only use one centerline in 2000i "successfully" in rotations.

With effect from WF5, PTC has introduced "Geometry Centerline". Sketch the geometry cl first and then sketch the profile for revolve protrusion. The dimensions are then taken as Diameter Diamensions.

Untitled.png

I know this is an old post. I am still posting it if it helps somebody.

Top Tags