cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Dimensioning Help

cbogart
1-Newbie

Dimensioning Help

For a college CAD course I'm creating an involute spur gear. We're given a tutorial to follow and typically I never have an issue, but I cant seem to get a diametrical dimension. The issue is when using the center and ends arc option in the sketcher the program is refusing to give me the distance from the center to the line. It will only give me the arclength of the curve. I have tried using the Normal option, selecting the center and curve, and pressing MMB to no avail. I get a 0.00 REF dimension. I need this dimension otherwise I can't complete the assignment as it's based on relations.

Help me please!

Regards,

Christopher Bogart

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ah, yes... in sketcher, actually have two options. One is to select the arc twice when dimensioning the arc and then dropping the dimension with the MMB. A single click yields the radius, and clicking twice will get you the diameter.

They have made it simpler, however, and you can now slect the radius dimension and a RMB click to get to the quick menu where you can change the dimension to a diameter (Convert to Diameter).

I hope that is what you were after.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I am not able to picture the dimension you are trying to create. There are many ways to make dimensions but often it really depends on how you create it in the model and sketch. If you can post a picture of what you want to achieve, we might be able to help faster.

...and welcome to the forum, Christopher.

Thanks for the hospitality,

Dia_Dim.jpg

This dimension is the one I am looking for. Basically the instructions indicate that I use the center and ends arc between the 2 centerlines and I should be able to dimension it in this way, to no avail. The angle hasn't been a problem though.

Thanks for your help.

Ah, yes... in sketcher, actually have two options. One is to select the arc twice when dimensioning the arc and then dropping the dimension with the MMB. A single click yields the radius, and clicking twice will get you the diameter.

They have made it simpler, however, and you can now slect the radius dimension and a RMB click to get to the quick menu where you can change the dimension to a diameter (Convert to Diameter).

I hope that is what you were after.

You are the greatest. If I could buy you a beer I would!!!!! ❤️

Happy to help!

Top Tags