cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Do you use the Weld Application? - Discussion

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Do you use the Weld Application? - Discussion

With a question regarding weld callouts using dual dimensions, I learned a few things about the Weld application in Creo.

1st of all... why would you do an All-Around symbol on the leader -and- have a weld length be shown? Obviously, you wouldn't unless you were a manufacturer and wanted to calculate manufacturing "stuff". But as an engineer defining the part... Heck no! I want the all around symbol to stand on its own as a fully defined requirement. Fortunately, you -can- go in and edit out the length callout from the symbol, but why should I have to?

So the second part of my observation here is that say, a fillet weld, run around a post on a plate has a dimension value... say .188. The Weld app converts that to "something" and places it in the annotation as a weld symbol including the weld size. So far, so good. But - it is not a dimension! It doesn't go into a drawing and recognize it as a dimension... and therefore, it doesn't abide by the detail.dtl setting of dual_dimensioning primary[secondary]! Even if you change this in the Model properties to dual dimensions, you do not get the expected dual dimensions in the symbol. Dual dimensioning means dual dimensions for -EVERYTHING- that represents a dimension! ...You can, however edit the weld symbol to show the actual dimension instead of some internally concocted byproduct.

weld_app1.PNG

So we edit the callout to include the real dimension... easy, right (yes)? But the &dnnn ignores the [.2] decimal space call. So now you need to change the properties of the fillet dimension properties to match your desired symbol callout.

weld_app2.PNG

But of course, your graphics is somehow corrupt because annotations are not updated immediately. Regen doesn't fix it. Yet a hover give you the hint there is a problem. I have to erase the annotation and unerase it to have it come back properly. This is why I stopped upgrading to the latest version of Creo. -This- is the type of "bugs" that really makes Creo annoying to use. And M040 seems to have a lot more than M020 had.weld_app3.PNG

Anyway, that's my rant... do you have one for the Weld App? Post it here.

Oh, and can you confirm that the annotation update bug is or is not in your version? I -am- on an approved platform.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

The weld application seems to be one of the more unfinished applications in Creo, in my opinion (yes, I find a lot of features/applications to be unfinished, but that's for another thread).

I use the weld application from time to time, and I'm frustrated at how long it takes to customize every single weld symbol, removing the length of weld and setting the decimal space to ".1" or ".0". I'm using metric units and ISO standard, and I think any welder would frown at receiving a drawing with A-dimensions defined down to a houndred of a millimeter.

I have yet to find an intuitive way of setting the default weld symbol appearance. I would at least like the possibility to select multiple welds and give them the same format, instead of repeating the process a million times, especially as the weld symbols (sometimes) revert to default format the next time I open the drawing.

PTC Should take some time to make the entire weld application a lot more useable and intuitive. I find slot/plug weld especially difficult to use, and fillet welds between complex parts. I need a way of indicating welds even though the parts that are to be welded are not the PERFECT case for placing welds (i.e. what you see as examples in textbooks).

Top Tags