cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Drawing dimension copying over multiple drawings issue

JF_9816257
4-Participant

Drawing dimension copying over multiple drawings issue

I have a family table with 4 instances, one of the instances is for a specific customer and requires tighter tolerances. So when I manually add +/- 1 to one drawing it automatically appears on the other drawings. If I add to the dimensional text to say 150 "MAX" the MAX also shows up on the other drawings. Somehow they are connected and 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:JF_9816257)

The is a plus and drawback of Creo.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot, because the show dimensions are associated with the model and not the drawing. The created dimension as associated with the drawing, but when you copy them over, they stay associated.

When you update tolerances, max/min, or other annotations, they will propagate throughout the drawings that are linked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

If you are using show dimensions on all (4) drawings or use one drawing and copy it to start the next they are all tied together. If you delete it, it will be gone from the other drawings too, but if you "Erase" it, it still exits but is not seen.

I would erase it from the customer specific drawing and then in the drawing add a drawing specific dimension with the tolerances that you need. If you start another drawing from this drawing, you will have to erase these dimension to change them back.

Thank you so much Dale for the prompt reply! 

That definitely worked, do you know of a way to copying a drawing over but disconnecting them after? 

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

The is a plus and drawback of Creo.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot, because the show dimensions are associated with the model and not the drawing. The created dimension as associated with the drawing, but when you copy them over, they stay associated.

When you update tolerances, max/min, or other annotations, they will propagate throughout the drawings that are linked.

Ah shoot, thats alright. 

Thank you for your solution your a headache saver! 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

For shown dimension, you can add tolerances to the family table also. Pick the dimension and the tolerance when making or editing the family table. Then when you show your dimension, it comes with the tolerance.

There is a config.pro option called create_drawing_dims_only YES that may work for created dimensions. Its a config options so it will affect all newly created dimensions on all drawings (if you keep the setting active). It does also affect other things like GD&T. I would say you would need to be careful if you decide to use this option since you may not realize the other issues. You'll definitely want to research this option before adding it!

Top Tags