cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Drawing format parameter text displays incorrectly when model's updated?

dandersonjr
1-Newbie

Drawing format parameter text displays incorrectly when model's updated?

Good Day All,

Has anyone else run into this?

I have drawings that were created from supplier part files and now I'm updating the drawings with revised models from the supplier.
Here is how they were created.

1) Supplier orginally sent me their model (wildfire 2 pro/e fully parameteric). I renamed the model to our part numbering standards and add our own parameters to support the titleblock (format) created a drawing using wildfire 3 referencing thisrenamedpro/e part file from the supplier. Released the drawing into our system.

Now today 2 years later,
2) supplier sends me a revised wildfire 2 part file (made from the orginal model) . So I rename the file to the name of our relased drawing file nameand add the parameters that are needed to support the drawing format/title block. When I open the drawing in Wildfire 4 the titleblock/format is all messed up. none of the parameter driven text in the tiltblock are where they should be and some of the text now reads ***.

IfI create a model and drawing in wildfire 4 and someone else gives me a totally different model and rename the model to the name of the drawing and open the drawing. The drawing shows the information stored in the parameters in the titleblock as it should from this other model.
But not when I bring in a wildfire 2 part file into a older drarwing pulled up in wildfire 4.

Would anyone have a fix for this other than re-creating the drawing from scratch as PTC has told me to do today?
We are using drawing templates and I would hate to have to retype in all of the prior drawing revision info into the drawing format.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Don Anderson

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I've seen the asterisk's before and they generally refer to the fact that repeat region cell width is too small for the data that is contained. For example... the cell width will accommodate a field that is 10 characters wide, but the text in the cell is 11 characters in length.

Bob

Bob,

FYI, There are no repeat regions in the titleblock we are using.
The asterisk's replace the ¶meter_callout. I have verified that the text length is ok as it is the same text
as what is on the orginal drawing release. So it should work. I think it's a wildfire2 to wildfire4 conversion issue.
Although PTC has said this is the intended functionality.

I will have to give Doug Schaefer's suggestions a try below(Thanks Doug). I might be able to use a mapkey to automate repopulating the titleblock with the parameter callouts (¶meter).

Thanks,
Don Anderson

I have seen those asterisks when doing the kind of rename dance like you describe. Sometimes, changing the rename order works - rename the older file the supplier’s name, save and close the drawing, then replace the old with the new, reopen the drawing and then rename the new file to your preferred name. Sometimes it doesn’t. It seems like somehow Pro/E is on to your tricks and knows this isn’t the same file.

Rather than recreating the entire drawing, you should be able to edit the drawing tables or notes where the asterisks are with the proper ¶meter_name and it should reconnect to the parameters just fine. Still painful, but not as bad as starting over.

FYI,

I would perfer not to reload the drawing format, as this would require me to retype / copy paste all of the information in the revision blocks and the some manual text in the titleblock (lots of drawings). So I think the idea of re-populating the titleblock with the parameter callouts using a mapkey will work best for now.

Thanks,
Don Anderson

Top Tags