cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Drawing report - BOM Repeat region

Nicolas_G
12-Amethyst

Drawing report - BOM Repeat region

Hello,
Is it possible to display in a repeat region components which are "suppressed by program" in the assembly ?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

why do you want to display suppressed components in assembly BOM ?

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

I work on parametric assemblies which can be composed of: Prt1 + (Prt2 or Prt3) + subasm1 + subasm2 + Prt4 + (subasm3 + subasm4)...

I want to display all the component which can be in the assembly.

ie: Prt1, Prt2, Prt3, subasm1, subasm2, Prt4, subasm3, subasm4

@Nicolas_G wrote:

Hi Martin,

I work on parametric assemblies which can be composed of: Prt1 + (Prt2 or Prt3) + subasm1 + subasm2 + Prt4 + (subasm3 + subasm4)...

I want to display all the component which can be in the assembly.

ie: Prt1, Prt2, Prt3, subasm1, subasm2, Prt4, subasm3, subasm4

Hi,

unfortunately repeat region removes suppressed component from the displayed list.

Repeat region can recognized simplified representations as shown in Repeat_region_Reps.mp4 video available in https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Repeat-Regions-Representations/m-p/94819 discussion.

You can use  following procedure to get requested result ... unfortunately it is non-parametric.

• open assembly
  • display suppressed in model tree
  • save model tree contents into treetool.txt
  • rename treetool.txt to treetool.csv
  • open treetool.csv in Notepad and modify its contents according your needs
  • open drawing
  • create table from file ... select treetool.csv

Martin Hanák

Thanks

If I understand what you're trying to do, there might be a method.

It seems to me you want to have a specific assembly in the drawing, but show all the components that could be in the assembly that aren't with the particular instance.

You could build an instance of the assembly that contains everything you want. Add it to the models (you can have many models used in the same drawing) and make it the active one. When this "has everything" assembly is the active model, create your repeat region. It will now have all the components you want. You're basically using an "invisible" instance of the assembly to drive your repeat region, while all the geometry shown is another instance.

Just be sure to make the "regular" assembly active once you're done with the special repeat region.

Apologies if I totally misconstrued your intent...

You fully understood my question.

It is a way I will explore.

Thanks

I just remark that the content of the repeat region is automatically updated according to the instance which is active on the drawing. 

Is there a method to associate the repeat region to one model ?

Thanks

The way it has behaved for me in the past is that if I have more than one instance in the drawing, the repeat region is updated according to the instance that was active when the repeat region was created. This way I have been able to have a bill of materials that shows all the components, while other views could have different components shown, etc.

If the drawing only has one instance and you replace that instance, the repeat region will change to reflect the difference in structure of the new instance.

So, if you have two instances, one you want to show in the views, and one you want to use just for the repeat region, use the one you want views from to define the views, then add the "repeat region only" one, make it active, and create the repeat region. Once the repeat region is complete, make the other instance active again. Just be sure to only replace the instance that is used for views and such only, while leaving the repeat region only one inactive.

Hopefully that makes sense. I also hope it's still possible with the version of Creo you are working with. I'm using Creo 4.

I understand why it wasn't working for me.

(I'm using Creo8.)

For example,

-asm1

- sub_asm1 --> parametric asm with pro/program. no instances

- Prt1

- Prt2

- Prt3

- Prt4

asm1 have 2 instances fixed by parameters in familly table.

Depending on parameters values "sub_asm1" is regenetrated differently in "asm1_inst1" than in "asm1_inst2".

On drawing I display the BOM of "sub_asm1" (level 3 of models in drw "asm1_inst1" & "asm1_inst2")

So the BOM is displayed as "sub_asm1" is regenerated.

If I create instances of "sub_asm1" and use them in family table of "asm1" instead of parameters then the BOM displayed according to the first instance activated doesn't change.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Nicolas_G)

We have two BOM's with repeat regions: one for our painted part and one for our chrome part. As Ken noted, you have to have the model you want in the specific BOM activated when you set up that part. Then the other part has to be activated for setting up the second BOM. Balloons, though, can only be associated with one of the BOM's on the page. Our BOM's are almost the same except for 1 or 2 parts.

Top Tags