cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Drive Thread Size (tapped hole) via Family Table?

dbower-3
5-Regular Member

Drive Thread Size (tapped hole) via Family Table?

Is it yet possible to Drive Thread Size (tapped hole or cosmetic thread) via Family Table?

If not, how are you all handling this?

6 REPLIES 6
RoyCrerar
14-Alexandrite
(To:dbower-3)

Hi, Use engineered holes they have all the sizes you need with drill points, counter bores and countersunk. You also get for free the hole notes that can be customised in format to keep notation common in your design group.

Holes is under the model tab, engineering. Pull down to reveal holes.

From what I've seen, this is something people have been wanting for a while, but it's not possible. The excuse seems to be that the family table would somehow "conflict" with the hole tables (?). The only method I saw that I would be willing to do is to create the hole(s) at with all the sizes and suppress all but one size. In the family table put all the features with the different sizes, and turn them on or off for each instance.

A lame solution, I know, but it's what they've given us.

dbower-3
5-Regular Member
(To:KenFarley)

"The only method I saw that I would be willing to do is to create the hole(s) at with all the sizes and suppress all but one size. In the family table put all the features with the different sizes, and turn them on or off for each instance."

Ken, this is exactly how we have handled it.  It's fine for a small table, but some of our tables have grown, with other users adding to the table... and really has made a mess.

I guess another option would be just have a regular hole and a separate cosmetic sketch, drive them with dimensions.  Would be a pain, but the table would be much cleaner?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I guess another option would be just have a regular hole and a separate cosmetic sketch, drive them with dimensions.  Would be a pain, but the table would be much cleaner?

The approach I've taken in the past is similar to this.  I built a group of features with all the intelligence for the different fastener sizes embedded into the feature's relations.  Changing a single value on the first feature would automatically change all other aspects of the hole features.  Likewise, entering this one value in the family table would cause the fastener to automatically change sizes based on the table.  Once these are built they can quickly be placed as UDFs.

dbower-3
5-Regular Member
(To:TomU)

What makes this messier in my table, is there is a chamfer attached to the hole.  So I have a group of features I have to turn on and off (the chamfer and the hole) for each instance.

dbower-3
5-Regular Member

Here is a link to an enhancement request:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Ideas/Make-it-possible-to-drive-THREAD-SERIES-and-SCREW-SIZE-by-family/idc-p/499103#M10065

Ideally, you would be able to drive THREAD_SERIES and SCREW_SIZE by family table. ‌ Make it a drop-down selection in the table (similar to the selection box when using 'replace using family member' in assembly table.)

The drop-down would have a list of all the thread sizes, exactly like the ones listed in the Hole Command.  

Top Tags