cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Dual dimension position default setting to right.

sgooch
4-Participant

Dual dimension position default setting to right.

This is tedious to have to set drawing after drawing's dual dimensions positions to right. On top of that, I am referencing length dimensions in tables and other dimensions in dimensions Like hole depths, countersink diameters x angle, and counter bore diameters x depths. I get everything looking great. Proceed with the release process and set states to released. Then open the drawing at a later time and all the referenced dimensions have reverted to the default of below. Now all the parts and assemblies are released and can't be changed and saved without rolling the revision. Is there a congig.pro option or can there be one written to set the dual dimension position default set to "to right"?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:sgooch)

As far as I know, there is no option for setting dual dimension position to RIGHT.

There is a product idea for this at Make dual dimension position value ("to right" or "below") available as drawing config option

As far as the position changing, that is not normal behavior. You may want to check to see if you can reproduce this problem or if it was a one time glitch. If reproducible, you should definitely submit a support ticket to PTC.

sgooch
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Thanks Stephen,

I spent a good hour going line by line of our config.pro and could not find an option for the dual dimension position. This post was more of a way to bring it up to PTC since the web site would not let me submit a support ticket because of my current user level. I am very dissatisfied with PTC on several levels.

As far as the position changing, I don't think you understand what I am describing. Yes for visible shown or created dimensions that are saved the dual dimensions do not switch positions. For shown dimensions that are referenced in another dimension they revert. This is a flaw in PTC software and is 100% repeatable. What I'm talking about is when I call out a second model dimension in another dimension. For example, Say I have a counter bore I'm calling out. I show the thru hole diameter, the counterbore diameter, and the  counterbore depth. In the properties of the thru hole diameter, counterbore diameter, and counterbore depth, I change the position "to right". To complete the hole call out in one view, I add the references (properties.PNG) of the counterbore diameter and the counterbore depth to the thru hole diameter dimension's properties display tab. They now appear in the thru hole dimension (counterbore_dim.PNG). Then save and either delete or erase the counterbore dimensions. Save and everything is great until I close that drawing and model and erase the in session visual memory. Open that drawing and the thru hole dimension position is still to right but the counterbore diameter and depth dimensions revert back to the default position of below (callout.PNG). I believe this is because the software doesn't save the setting because they are technically not in the drawing view as the original shown dimensions anymore. This is a big reason for being able to have all dual dimension positions default set to right.

sgooch
4-Participant

Work around: Project required view/s off page and set dimension to right. The view can be erased. The dimensions will remain set to the right.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Wow, I must have completely missed your response back in November. That is horrible and the work-around, well, sometimes your gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm going to experiment a little with this one just to see if I get the same thing. For me, we only use dual dimensions on a few customer drawings so I never see the flaws with respect to my manufacturing drawings.

Top Tags