cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Dynamic Springs

DavidButz
1-Newbie

Dynamic Springs

Fellow users,

A recent thread discussed again the use of Flexible Component functionality to deal with springs in different compression/extension states. This is a useful technique. However, what it does not allow is the dynamic simulation of springs in action. The following illustrated technique, introduced in the online ConnectPress publication around the first of the year and presented again at the ptc/USER conference in June, allows dynamic spring action using the Drag Packaged Component technique (or Mechanism action). The basic idea is simple. A spring Part is modeled instead as an Assembly of half-turn links, the entire assembly capable of a scissors action to allow dynamic compression and extension within a larger assembly. In the illustration both springs are instances of the same assembly model. This technique works with extension springs and even curved springs, as well. More detail to follow.

David

Video Link : 1362

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi

I have a spring in many of my asm's They wont work as they should.

You can see the mechanism on page 2 of the inclosed pdf.

Can you give me some tips to make it work please?

Regards

Chris

Christiaan,

I can't tell from your pdf what problem you may be having, or what technique you are using. Are you trying to use the Flexible Component functionality? If so, I'm sure you can find some guidance in the Help Topics from PTC.

Flexible Components functionality provides a great way to have your springs appear in different static states when you change the assembly dimensions, etc. What is illustrated above is something different. It's a technique that allows an assembly to be exercised dynamically with the Drag Packaged Component or Mechanism options and have the springs extend and compress in "real" time.

Here is another illustration:

Video Link : 1373

David

I know this an old thread, and what's more, it is still a limitation nearly 3 years on.

Since I am working a conversation with springs currently, this is indeed a cool "workaround".

But why the need? You can dynamically move a spring in it's own part file and it follows. Why is this functionality still lacking in mechanism? I should simply be able to tie a flexible components to both ends with simple mates to its respective features and let it have at it with the dragger and following the same dynamic algorithm used back in the part model.

Anyway, I appreciate finding this as a reference thread to my current thread. Out of the box thinking can really add to the usefulness of the tool. All too often we need exactly this functionality. Why PTC doesn't see it is beyond me.

Top Tags