cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Equal Length Constraint in Assembly

IT_10439331
1-Newbie

Equal Length Constraint in Assembly

I would like to make these linkages move together, the easiest way to do this as I think is making the distance from the origin the same for the links (indicated by the lines drawn). However, I am unable to find a way to do that, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. 

*I am using PTC creo parametric 9.0 student edition

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

see video.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Hi,

see video.

Martin Hanák

Thanks for the reply but I am not sure how to constrain the sketch to the links in assembly, I would appreciate it if you could guide me further. 

After working around with this, this actually works perfectly fine, thank you for the help. 

I currently have the sketch placed like this in the model tree so I can define the subassemblies and parts based on the sketch, however this means I cannot use "drags components" anymore since they are not free to move, do you have any tips regarding that?

Much thanks,
Ibrahim

Hi,

I do not understand why do you want to drag components. Draging is available when assembly components are assembled using mechanism constraints.

Please explain how do you want to move components - show it using picture with arrows.

Q: Modification of sketch dimension is not enough?

Martin Hanák

The assembly is connected via Pin Connections at the "holes" (image attached), I have attached two images where I change the sketch dimensions and the result (which are perfectly fine). I am wondering if there is a method to drag the components to achieve the same result.

I am a university student trying to learn creo, modifying sketch is definitely an acceptable solution to what I asked, it is just out of curiosity I am asking if dragging components can be used.

I am attaching a picture of what I had hoped to and have achieve successfully geometry wise. Many thanks to Martin.

@IT_10439331 wrote:

The assembly is connected via Pin Connections at the "holes" (image attached), I have attached two images where I change the sketch dimensions and the result (which are perfectly fine). I am wondering if there is a method to drag the components to achieve the same result.

I am a university student trying to learn creo, modifying sketch is definitely an acceptable solution to what I asked, it is just out of curiosity I am asking if dragging components can be used.

Hi,

I am not expert in case of mechanisms ... therefore I do not know if dragging components can be used.

However, after a bit of searching, I figured that your model would have to come up with connections between components.

An example of connection is shown in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmihj3Il0UY video.

Also I downloaded runner.zip from https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Simultaneous-Mechanism-Motion/m-p/147567#M11399 discussion ... see uploaded video.

Martin Hanák

Hi,

I think you can use Cam-Follower connection to move 5 "points" simultaneously by rotating shaft with 5 cams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfob1bF6Pxg

Martin Hanák

Seee attached video showing test model.

Martin Hanák

I had a realisation that the length can be maintained by using constraints on the angles in the geometry. I started this sketch and it helped me a lot (Sketch image below), I realised the chord would be an isoceles triangle with angles highlighted being 54 degrees regardless of length. So I made planes defined on the part at 54 degrees from the 0 degree (planes image below), by constraining the that plane to the corresponding previously placed piece's plane I can ensure they move in tandem (planes constrained image below). 

I am also attaching a video of it working and the constraints used for posterity (constraint video below), I realise the menu has not been recorded, hopefully, the highlighted planes are enough to understand what is going on.

Martin you were a tremendous help, your replies motivated me to delve more into the forum and think deeply on the ways this could be achieved, I also really appreciate your help (for example downloading the runner file for example and uploading it working since I cannot directly access the file with the education version), I am blown away by your kindness and thoughtfulness. Thank you very much for your help

I am attaching my assembly for posterity, hopefully it can be of help to someone.

That is very interesting, I was meaning to get into trying out cams and followers, this is a perfect opportunity to dive into it, thank you very much.

I thought you might be interested in knowing what it all ended up as, I have attached a video. I used a cam connection on the hanging out bit ( i am not sure what to call it) and the wedge. The cam is supposed to be a conical cylinder, I am working on changing it.

Best,
Ibrahim

Hi,

it seems to me that it is better to add video as attachment instead of embedding it.

Martin Hanák

I apologise for the hassle you are right. The constraint video shows the constraints and the initial assembly. The video named complete shows well the almost completed assembly

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags