cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Erase / Unerase dimensions

ptc-4684951
1-Newbie

Erase / Unerase dimensions

One of my dimensions in a particular view always "erases" each time I close the file. Upon opening the file I have to select the view annotations in the model tree and "unerase" the dimension. It is only one dimension. The view in question is a Partial View.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

The dimension symbol is probably used elsewhere, like the model or in a note or table or other dimension. If it is "otherwise occupied" it is probably not available where you want it.

To me, the logic behind this is quite pesky. It can cause things to pop up anywhere in a drawing if you remove it's "primary" callout. I don't know of any settings that would allow you to use a particular dimension symbol more than once in session. The fact that it allows you to overwrite only temporarily is even more troubling.

If it is a shown dimension, try moving it to a different view and saving it. Then erase it all, retrieve the drawing again. If it appears ok, then move it back to the desired view, save, erase all, and retrieve again.

If it's a created dimension, can you modify the associated model / is it checked out? It's possible to store created dimensions in the model rather than the drawing, but there may be a problem with the display status if it can't be written back to the model.

There's probably a bad pointer in the drawing database to show the dimension. It works when you force it to be displayed, but is broken on retrieval. Moving the dimension should cause it to delete the pointer that associates it to the one view and replace it with a new one. It's not a guarantee as what you are seeing is abnormal behavior. I've had a number of occasions where software was stuck and what amounts to shaking the tree got it lose.

The drawing and associated models should go to tech support as a bug. If it is a defect, they will be able to see it, but it's not likely they can do anything without figuring out what created the defect. Unless this comes up a lot, there's no way they'll do a code review to root out the reason.

If the dimension shows OK on another view, but won't stay with this one view, then the developers may have a shot.

At least it hasn't moved to the Creo Instant Exit module, where retrieving the drawing is the last command you issue before starting Creo again.

Top Tags