cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

Exclude pattern members based on external input

Bas
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Exclude pattern members based on external input

I'm trying to automate the process of setting up an assembly which has a configurable pattern of components of which a number of members need to be excluded.

A customer can choose any number of rows and columns for the green rectangles A.

The bigger rectangle B can change position and size (or not be there at all) and is the region which should not be filled with rectangles A. 

Bas_0-1684232423200.png

Manually this can easily be achieved by making a Direction Pattern and clicking each dot that falls in region B. However I want to automate this and create the pattern based on input parameters. 

Fixed values: size of A, spacing in X and Y direction between rectangles A.

Input parameters: number of instances in X and Y direction of A, position and size of rectangle B

Explored options:

- Fill Pattern: would be the perfect solution except for the fact that the spacing in X and Y directions is always equal. Which is not the case for us.

- Table Pattern: If necessary it could be possible to create a table with all coordinates of the members in the pattern outside of Creo. However I can't find a way to use an external table or use the input parameters to fill an internal table to create the pattern.

What I would like is to have a parameter that is a list of members to be excluded and feed this to the pattern. Or combination between a fill and direction pattern where I can easily sketch the excluded area while still having full control over the different pattern directions.

Anyone has any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Bas)

Hi,

see video. I uploaded files created in Creo 7.0.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
21-Topaz I

Possible solutions:

Excel analysis feature: http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/beh11983/beh11983.htm 

Mapkey that reads in your external text file and updates parameters which in turn change the instances.

Vendor solution like simplified logic

Toolkit - this would provide the most flexibility but is likely a non-starter if you haven't used any of the toolkits before (there is a steep learning curve).

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

see video. I uploaded files created in Creo 7.0.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags