cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Exploded lines in drawing's view

ptc-4600185
1-Newbie

Exploded lines in drawing's view

Hello,

I have a problem with the lines of an exploded assembly when I represent a exploded state in a drawing in a shaded mode. The lines are always at top-level even if they are hidden by another part (see pictures). This problem does not appear in other view modes.

Anyone can help?

Thank you,

Thierry

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just came up with a work-around if this is important to you.

• I created an exploded view and extension lines in the assembly model. These lines are called "offset line" in the model tree if you show the features.

• Assign these offset lines to a layer in the assembly model in order to hide them easily.

• Save your preferred orientation for the drawing view.

• Open the drawing, place the view and edit the origin of the view (to some nice round number).

• Change the view display to No Hidden (this will trim the extension lines).

• Create a new view set to Shaded (no-edges) located at the same origin.

• Switch the drawing tree to layer tree and set the layer to the shaded view name.

• Hide the layer you created with the Offset Lines on it (this will hide the layer only in that view).

Now you will have a shaded view with a no hidden overlay which trims the extension lines.

view_overlays.PNG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It appears that only hidden line removal will change the state of the extension lines in exploded views.

It seems silly to not use the hidden line state for shaded image. This would be a simple algorithm change for PTC. Maybe you can post this as an Idea.

I just came up with a work-around if this is important to you.

• I created an exploded view and extension lines in the assembly model. These lines are called "offset line" in the model tree if you show the features.

• Assign these offset lines to a layer in the assembly model in order to hide them easily.

• Save your preferred orientation for the drawing view.

• Open the drawing, place the view and edit the origin of the view (to some nice round number).

• Change the view display to No Hidden (this will trim the extension lines).

• Create a new view set to Shaded (no-edges) located at the same origin.

• Switch the drawing tree to layer tree and set the layer to the shaded view name.

• Hide the layer you created with the Offset Lines on it (this will hide the layer only in that view).

Now you will have a shaded view with a no hidden overlay which trims the extension lines.

view_overlays.PNG

Thank you for the workaround I got what I wanted 🙂

I will forward the issue to PTC for an idea.

Best regards

Thierry

Honestly, offset lines are a total pain to use. What I've started to do is simply make the lines as parametric sketched lines in the dwg. Much easier, and faster, and the dwg is the only place you use them anyways.

It really is a very poor 3D sketcher. Had PTC done something with 3D curves back in WF, this should have been a breeze. Just the fact that you cannot pick the center of a hole or intelligently move a whole line is infuriating.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Yup. I refuse to use them anymore. Though the 2D sketcher in dwg mode sux, it's still a lot easier to make the lines there.

Top Tags