cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Export JPEG of drawing with data

Nairn
8-Gravel

Export JPEG of drawing with data

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to export an image of a 2D drawing (JPEG), with relevant metadata captured in the file details?

We are trying to create a digital library of all of our drawings so we can reference to find copycat/similar jobs to act as starting points when starting a new contract design. We create tens of drawings per week, all with slight variations on our standard off-the-shelf designs, and we currently just use a series of folders containing thousands of printed drawings (which obviously takes ages to look through every time we need to reference something). We are hoping to create a digital library of our general arrangement drawings with data such as 'product rating', 'customer', 'shell size' etc., contained within the file rather than just the standard 'date created' etc. Is there a way to pull information from within the drawing/model parameters, and capture this in the metadata of an exported drawing to allow filtering? We will be using SharePoint if that helps/hinders, but I am primarily concerned with if exporting this sort of data is even possible at this stage.

Thank you for any insights!

2 REPLIES 2
pausob
18-Opal
(To:Nairn)

You can cobble something together using a programming language of your choice and CreoSON to extract the parameter information, and then issue commands to export the screenshot to JPEG file, then modify its metadata using exiftool.

I advise to do a bit of research and planning before diving into a fully customized solution - there might be vaulting or lite-weight PDM solutions (maybe plug-ins for Sharepoint?) that will do this kind of thing for you.

mashton-2
13-Aquamarine
(To:Nairn)

Sounds like you need a PDM tool PDMLink or similar.

Top Tags