cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Exporting a cross section of geometry in Excel / measure thickness of part in Creo

ptc-6334823
1-Newbie

Exporting a cross section of geometry in Excel / measure thickness of part in Creo

Hello everyone,

I hope you can help me with a problem I´m currently having. I wasn't able to solve it after many hours of searching and trying, thus I need your help.

I need to measure the thickness of a cut geometry. It looks like this

2.PNG

3.PNG

I now want to determine the max and min thickness of this body. Of course I can use the measurement tool and go through of all pounts. But thats very error-prone and time consuming. Is there a way, that Creo can show me the min an max thickness?

Or can I somehow export the cutted surface in geometry points (x,y-axis), so that I can import them into Excel and do the calculations there then. I was able to make a curve of the cutted surface, but I don`t know what to do with it?

1.PNG

Hope you can help me,

sincerely,

Christian

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

It is probably still more work than you want, but you can string points along a curve with patterns.

If you isolate the curves and points, you can export the file to iges, and the file will have the point coordinates in there as text.

I would consider using Creo to offset surfaces and determine the approximate minimum and maximum thickness by visual interrogation.

Creo 3 is suppose to have this built in for injection molded plastic evaluation. Don't know much about it but from what I understand, it is part of the core product.

And welcome to the forum, Hanno!

First of all thank: you for your answer.

I looked up some videos of creo 3.0 and in this one they explicitly mentioned the advanced thickness measurement (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYaKhaYrDZM#t=3m54s) you stated. I'll try to get in touch with a creo representitive if I can get a beta oder a trial version of 3.0 for testing.

But I want to come back to your first idea of creating an iges. I've already read some forum entrys about exporting an iges due to its storage of the coordinates. I would like to try this but I guess having the thickness geometry just extruded along its curve to a new part is the tricky part.

I guess you tried to show me a way by saying

It is probably still more work than you want, but you can string points along a curve with patterns.

If you isolate the curves and points, you can export the file to iges, and the file will have the point coordinates in there as text.

What do you mean by this or respectively how do I do this exactly? I've upload the part I'm talking about here.

Thanks again for your help,

sincerely

Chris

I guess I found the way by exporting the geometry with the curve to an iges/stp file and get the coordinates out of the lines

It the density of the points is sufficient in the line definition, yes, this is a good way. I you need more points, you can place a point along a curve (datum point, select a curve or edge, set a distance along the feature), and then patterning the point. Use the distance along the reference as a pattern dimension. Now the point will pattern along the reference. The original point can use a distance ratio or an actual value along the reference.

its me again. I managed to get the Geometry exported to excel. But now I have a second question:

I want to automate tasks in Creo. I have about 80 .igs files. I would have to open each of them and add about 7 new layers to them and then save them as a .prt file. Is there a way to automate the task of adding these 7 layers by paramters? Their reference is either linked to the imported coordinate system or to one of the created layers.

I got how the parameter/relation panel works, but I don't know how I could like add a layer or anything else by this and add the parameters?

Top Tags