cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

External sketches used in extrude features - can they be varied in Family Tables?

pausob
18-Opal

External sketches used in extrude features - can they be varied in Family Tables?

Hi all,

For extrude and revolve features that have sections defined as an external sketch, then one is able to "swap out" their sections by specifying a different external sketch.  Super easy to do via "edit references" of the feature:

pausob_0-1614465379439.png

However, I can't base a family table or make a flexible component instance based on varying what external sketch a feature uses.  Am I missing something?

2 REPLIES 2
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:pausob)

I don't know of a way to do exactly what you are trying to do but you could create two extrude features and suppress / unsuppress them with the family table.

You can also vary the sketch dimensions with the family table so if it is possible to edit a number of dimensions to get to the second sketch then you could modify those dimensions in the family table.

Thanks.  I am aware you can build separate extrude features and suppress all-but-one in a particular FT instance.  But that means there is a separate external sketch used in each feature in the generic.  So I might as well have done those extrudes using "internal sketches".

I know the curves of external sketch can be reused as references in multiple downstream features - it seems that's the only advantage of using external sketches.

Top Tags