cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

FILL A HOLE ON A COMPLEX SURFACE

ronbak
5-Regular Member

FILL A HOLE ON A COMPLEX SURFACE

I am trying to fill a hole on a complex surface.  I use curves to chop it up and boundary blends to fill it in.  However the tangencies are not perfect and I can still see a small seam.  Any suggestions would help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:ronbak)

Well, that's just a starting point.  At least it fills in part of your hole.  After you trim away at this copy and re-merge the the original quilt, you get kinda close:

hole_filled.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
psobejko
12-Amethyst

Did you try selecting the quilt, and doing a copy and paste with the "untrim" boundary option?

hole_to_be_filled.png

This thread discusses similar "reverse-engineering" effort:

Is there a way to fill the hole?

ronbak
5-Regular Member
(To:psobejko)

I tried that and it doesn't give me the results I need. I lose the profile and I get overlap with the existing surfaces.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Well, that's just a starting point.  At least it fills in part of your hole.  After you trim away at this copy and re-merge the the original quilt, you get kinda close:

hole_filled.png

ronbak
5-Regular Member

I like this approach.  It's almost there.  I will try it on the full surface.  i will post my results.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Cool, just keep in mind there are many ways of "skinning" the cat

Which makes me wonder - the quilt in your first post comes from an external copy geom reference - have you tried to obtain this original geometry?

ronbak
5-Regular Member

yes but unfortunately they would not turn over the native file.  So I had to fill in some holes and use the warp feature to tweak things.

ronbak
5-Regular Member

that's also why I like a second set of eyes looking at things. 

ronbak
5-Regular Member

here's my end surface. it looks pretty good.  thanks for all your help!!!

ronbak
5-Regular Member

Here is how is stitched it together

stitch.PNG

stitch2.PNG

This might be due to issues with the source model. I'm seeing some wonky intersections on the copy geom:

Capture.JPG

Yeah, after trimming out the center section, I was able to patch it pretty easily (pardon the quick and dirty modeling).

Top Tags