cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Family Import Table Grayed-Out

Sandy1
9-Granite

Family Import Table Grayed-Out

Hi all,

Would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

1. Got A.prt  (generic) with a family table.
  2. Export family table of A.prt as PRO/Table file but also as  Texual family table (Creo saved it as A_tmp.ptd)
  3. Deleted family table of A.part i.e. Edit-> Delete Entire Table.
  4. Close and clear everything in session.
  5. Reopen A.prt and go to Tools->Family Table since I want to import the family table backup I made in step 2 (i.e  A_tmp.ptd)
  6. Problem: File-> Import is greyed out, so I cannot get back the family table I created.

I am running Creo 5

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Sandy1 wrote:

Hi Martin,
Thank you for your response.

Some Observations:
1. Once family table is deleted, there is no easy way to get it back even though you have saved a backup family table (.ptd) since the file-> Import Table is grayed out
2.To be able to use the backup .ptd file, you must redefine the variables again as Martin pointed out. This is quite frustrating if you got a lot of columns to redefine. (I even forgot what I have defined as variables, at least some of them). Creo will repopulate all your previous instance names and values for columns that you have redefined. If you forgot what to redefined as column, then bad luck.
3. Step two works for .ptd saved as Textual Family Table. If you export the .ptd as Pro Table File, then nothing happens (at least for me).
4. What is the purpose of exporting a family table as Textual or as Pro Table? Pro Table format is not working in my case.
5.Is there any trick/hack to get Creo to automatically repopulate all the columns from the .ptd backup, assuming you didn’t change anything in the part you are working with?

Thank you

Hi,

if you need to recreate family table, you can use information written in textual ptd file. In case that columns contain dimensions, you can find dimension symbolic names in the file. You can enter these symbolic names when you select Other option during column defining.

Note: Pro Table File format is historical, ignore it.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Sandy1 wrote:

Hi all,

Would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

1. Got A.prt  (generic) with a family table.
  2. Export family table of A.prt as PRO/Table file but also as  Texual family table (Creo saved it as A_tmp.ptd)
  3. Deleted family table of A.part i.e. Edit-> Delete Entire Table.
  4. Close and clear everything in session.
  5. Reopen A.prt and go to Tools->Family Table since I want to import the family table backup I made in step 2 (i.e  A_tmp.ptd)
  6. Problem: File-> Import is greyed out, so I cannot get back the family table I created.

I am running Creo 5

Thank you

Hi,

I think you have to:

1. define family table columns
  2. import family table values

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin,

Some Observations:
1. Once family table is deleted, there is no easy way to get it back even though you have saved a backup family table (.ptd) since the file-> Import Table is grayed out
2.To be able to use the backup .ptd file, you must redefine the variables again as Martin pointed out. This is quite frustrating if you got a lot of columns to redefine. (I even forgot what I have defined as variables, at least some of them). Creo will repopulate all your previous instance names and values for columns that you have redefined. If you forgot what to redefined as column, then bad luck.
3. Step two above works for .ptd saved as Textual Family Table. If you export the .ptd as Pro Table File, then nothing happens (at least for me).
4. What is the purpose of exporting a family table as Textual vs Pro Table? Pro_Table format is not working in my case.
5. Is there any trick/hack to get Creo to automatically repopulate all the columns from the .ptd backup, assuming you didn’t change anything in the part you are working with?

Thank you

Hi Martin,

Some Observations:
3. Step two works for .ptd saved as Textual Family Table. If you export the .ptd as Pro Table File, then nothing happens (at least for me).
4. What is the purpose of exporting a family table as Textual or as Pro Table? Pro Table format is not working in my case.
5.Is there any trick/hack to get Creo to automatically repopulate all the columns from the .ptd backup, assuming you didn’t change anything in the part you are working with?

Thank you

@Sandy1 wrote:

Hi Martin,

Some Observations:

Thank you

Hi,

if you need to recreate family table, you can use information written in textual ptd file. In case that columns contain dimensions, you can find dimension symbolic names in the file. You can enter these symbolic names when you select Other option during column defining.

Note: Pro Table File format is historical, ignore it.

Martin Hanák

Thank you Martin for your reply.

1.Yes, by using other, I was able to add the columns by using the information in the ptd file. Thank you

2.There is no way you can do the above process automatically. (Tried fooling around excel but didnt work). If the column in the ptd file is a feature, then no luck. Step 1, above works for dimensions only.

3. My goal was to have A.prt and be able to have two or more family tables associated to it (which I would be able to swap easily.Each family table would have different variables as columns)

Sandy

After fooling around a bit with what Martin said,  I cannot make any improvement  on how to get back the erased family table. It's a manual ,laborious and limited way of doing things, but that is  the only working method so far.

Thank you

Sandy

Top Tags