cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Family Table Verification Status

Trebla
15-Moonstone

Family Table Verification Status

Hi 

I am using Creo 4 with windchill 12

I would like to show in the Model Tree the family table parameter 'Verification Status', is it possible?

Imagine that you have an instance not verified:

IMAGE1.png 

This instance is mounted inside an assembly. Could you see in the assembly model tree a column with "Verification Status"?

image2.png

Thank you very much

7 REPLIES 7
sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:Trebla)

Hello @Trebla 

There is no way to configure this kind of information in Model Tree. Consider here that in your snapshot, the active object is the generic. and - still according to your snapshots- 2 instances are verified whereas one is not. This kind of information, if it was existing:

• would therefore make sense in the Model Tree of instances, and not of generic models.
  • would be therefore useless, because, most of the time, it's in the generic (and not in a given instance) that users want to know if family table is verified or not (without accessing manually >Tools >Family Table >Verify each time they would like to know this)

That said, my guess is that, in background, you would like to have this kind of information to prevent users (or at least to mitigate risks) to checkin Family Tables with Unverified instances. If my assumption is correct, related to that, upon checkin of a generic in a linked session, a conflict UI always opens informing users that instances are NOT verified. and this Conflict UI proposes Ignore this error by default. On this, consider following points:

• verify_on_save_by_default, when set to yes in config.pro, will default the choice to Verify Now, instead of Ignore this error (produced with default value no of this config option). With value yes, Verify Now will be the default, but do not prevent users to manually set back to ignore this error and checkin
  • If above option is not enough (due to still manual possible action explained above), ModelCHECK can be configured also as a GateKeeper in Save mode in linked sessions, giving a clear unoverridable error upon checkin attempt of family tables with unverified instances. Just consider that an implementation of this solution is a bit complicated (just would like to let you know it's possible), and cannot be covered with simple exchanges in post. I would suggest to contact a PTC Partner if you would like to implement this kind of logic in your production environment:
    1. For the whole configuration of Model CHECK (first)
    2. And then for the configuration as Gate Keeper in linked session (as a second step)

Regards,

Serge

Trebla
15-Moonstone
(To:sacquarone)

Thank you Serge for your full answer

We already have the option verify_on_save_by_default yes inside config.pro, but also we have some 'families' in windchill unverified like this:

unverified.png

I would like a column in the model tree for have the knowledge about 'Verification Status' at a glance with models that could by done by any user of the company...

If a column is not possible, I would like access to this parameter in some way, but I can not find it... is it possible?

Thank you again

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Could this type of information be added to the notification center to warn the user of unverified instances?  There is a warning upon save but not while working on the model.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

Hello @Trebla & @kdirth 

Before prodciding generic answers, please allow me to share an important information on what I can see in last snapshot attached:

• If You may have same Model Names in several CAD Documents, as long as Is Model Name Unique preference is set to no
  • It should be NOT POSSIBLE to have mutiple CAD Documents (whatever if part of Family Table or not) with SAME Number
  • We officially document this in multiple articles, most relevant one in this context being article 40443
  • It is therefore hilighy surprising to see same Cad Document Number 1 in all instances of your family table in your snapshot
  • If further investigation is needed on this (which looks like a corrupted object), I suggest to open a case with PTC Technical SUpport (troubleshooting process in such situation is often hard and long, and the community is probably not the best channel to exchange information in this direction which will be probably confidential)

Switching now below to a more generic answer to this kind of questions:

• In Creo Parametric, the only way to see if a family table is verified or not is to access >Tools >Family Table >Verify
    • No other UI will allow to access this kind of information (neither in Model Information, nor in Notification Center, nor in Reference Viewer, and nor in Model Tree)
    • In a context of linked sessions, even Workspace tab does not propose a possible access to Verification status column (limitation officially documented in article 335737)
  • To pre-configure Verify Now in Linked sessions, use verify_on_save_by_default yesdm_auto_conflict_resolution yes (note this will automtically do what you want in this specific context, but you may not like the automatic resolution of conflicts in other situations => To be tested therefore on your side to assess if it's good or not to use this logic in your environment)
  • Alterntively, configure ModelCHECK as Gatekeeper to force an error upon checkin attempt of Unverified Family Table objects (needs probably some assistance from a PTC Partner if you're not familiar with ModelCHECK or Gatekeept configuration in WIndchill side)
  • Above 2 bullets are  uselss for standalone Creo Parametric sessions. In this scope, refer to article 76714 for a possible guidance in WEBLink direction (requires however a development in parallel of the standard caopabilities of Creo Parametric)

Above guidance s far from being exhaustive, but I hope at least that this:

1. Clarifies the current limitations we have in accessing info of verification status with standard capabilities of Creo Parametric
  2. Gives some ideas/views on possible next steps for a better control in standalone (via WEBLink) and linked (via GateKeeper ModelCHECK) sessions

Regards,

Serge

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@sacquarone,

I did a double take as well but on closer examination you can see they just blanked out the display of the names in the picture, probably for confidential reasons.  I'm betting all of the names are actually unique.

The picture is from a standard, out-of-the-box table in Windchill.  It shows the family table information for any instance or generic.  For example:

TomU_0-1647011606444.png

Since Creo is passing this information to Windchill, it seems like there should be some way to easily expose it in Creo as well.

sacquarone
20-Turquoise
(To:TomU)

Hello @TomU 

Yes, this information is passed from Creo Parametric to Windchill, and can be accessed if you customize a new tab with the table Family as you did in your snapshot.

However:

• From Windchill Perspective:
    • This information cannot be even retrieved in a given column of your CAD DOcuments in your Workspace tab (in Embedded Creo or even standalone browser) =>  article 335737
    • You really need to access the Detail page of a given object, and access later your customized tab.
  • From Creo Parametric perspective, information is available:
    • from >Tools >Family Table >Verify
    • from eventual *.tst file generated on disk
    • But from nowhere else, as far as I know (I may have missed something here, and if so, thanks to whoever will enrich this post later on)

I nevertheless agree that it would be cool and helpful to "easily be able to expose presence of eventual unverified Instances in Creo" (differently than accessing first the Family Table UI), similarly maybe to what is shown in Windchill table, but this request needs to be reported as an enhancement request via a new Idea (not eligible to be reported as a SPR by PTC TS, because not part of current specifications)

Again anyway, I think it's important to consider that:

• This kind of feature (easy way to expose unverified instances in Creo) would be cool and improve User Experience for sure
  • But would NOT prevent users to say "ignore this error" and checkin models with unverified instances (and this is the starting point of presence of eventual unverified instances later in commonspace)

Considering above, as per my views (not official PTC position, just my views here), it would be much better to have a kind of config.pro option PREVENTING "Save" (preceeding Upload and Checkin) when being in a scope of a Family Table with Unverified instance. something like allow_save_unverified_instances with value yes (default, to keep legacy behavior unchanged) or no (to produce intentionnal unoverridable error upon "Save" attempt). This kind of "absolute prevention" is already possible in a scope of linked sessions, but requires usage of ModelCHECK as Gatekeeper, which is hard to configure without a background of knowledge and experience in the configuration process of this capability.

Regards,

Serge

Trebla
15-Moonstone

Sorry for my delayed answer:

@TomU  was right, there isn't a Names problem, I hid them for confidential reasons.

@kdirth  I agree this 'Verification Status info' could be inside 'Notification Center' also

@sacquarone  as you suggest, I opened a new  Idea for this.

Thank you very much to all.

Top Tags