cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Family Table Wants to Change When Saving Assembly Using Instances

MarkE
5-Regular Member

Family Table Wants to Change When Saving Assembly Using Instances

We have several family tables that seem to want to regenerate when an assembly that uses their instances is opened/saved.  Please see the image below.

This can be avoided by selecting "Make Read-Only" for these items when opening the assembly, or by locking the files in the workspace (we are connected to Windchill) prior to opening the assembly.  However, I wanted to ask if anyone would have any thoughts as to why these particular family tables want to regenerate - is there something to look for?  I have confirmed in Windchill that their instances are verified.  Thank you for any suggestions.

Family Table.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MarkE)

I hope your family tables are in a library/standard parts context and not in the Product context. If so, you can set a preference that Library files are opened as read-only.

The second thing is the config.pro setting to enable regeneration of read-only parts.

MarkE
5-Regular Member
(To:BenLoosli)

BenLoosli,

Thank you for your response.  Could you please provide more details regarding the Windchill preference?  Most of these family tables do reside in Library Contexts.  I found an "Automatically lock objects added to workspace" setting, but it appears that if I set this to "Yes", then it locks any objects that are added to a workspace that is linked to a Library Context, regardless of what Context the objects reside in in Commonspace.  I think what I would need is a setting that locks any objects that are added FROM a Library Context, regardless of what Context a particular workspace is linked to.  Are you aware of such a setting?

Also, what is your specific suggestion regarding the config.pro setting to enable regeneration of read-only parts?  I am not familiar with this setting.

Thank you.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Config,pro setting:

regenerate_read_only_objects yes

I cannot find the preference for Lock Library files when put in a Workspace, but I will keep looking.

This may be what you're referring to

(WC Preferences)

Workspace > Add to Workspace and Check Out > Smart Lock Objects in Workspace

Name  :  Smart Lock Objects in Workspace
Description  :  System will automatically add or remove the workspace lock to objects in Workspace. Actions like Add to Workspace, Check out, Update, Refresh, Synchronize, Open from CAD tool and Undo Check Out will update the lock status. Possible values are:
  • NONE - (Default) workspace lock is not maintained on objects in Workspace.
  • READ_ONLY - workspace lock is set or unset for objects that: user does not have modify access, checked out by another user or by the user to another WS, and objects not stored in the workspace’s context.

MarkE
5-Regular Member
(To:k_pritchard)

Thank you, this is interesting and may be what we were looking for.

dnordin
15-Moonstone

MarkE,

You may want to check on when the models were last modified.  If they are pre-Wildfire 5.0 models, the files will be modified when you open them in any version higher than Wildfire 4.0.  This is because PTC added the capability of specifying units in the family table in Wildfire 5.0.  Article CS4930 and TAN150276 provide more details.

Regards,

Dan N.

MarkE
5-Regular Member
(To:dnordin)

Dan,

Thank you for your suggestion.  However, I tried the solutions mentioned in these articles, and they did not resolve the issue.  We have numerous family tables that were created in older versions of Pro/ENGINEER, but for some reason only several of them seem to exhibit this behavior.

Regards,
Mark E.

Top Tags