cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Family table - how to rename the column

mkrawczyk
1-Newbie

Family table - how to rename the column

Hi guys,

I have a question for you. I'm working on one of my projects and I have to use the Family table. First of all, it is important to say, that I didn't prepare the model itself. Someone else made it, and I just have to connect all parts and prepare the Family table for them. I've added all necessary features, however the names of columns corresponding to them are not what I wanted. The problem is that I cannot change these names (cannot rename columns). Did any of you have similar problem and is able to tell me how to do this?

I will be grateful

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mkrawczyk)

You should be able to use the find tool to locate both dimensions and features by their names.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

You can rename the dimensions/features used in the family table to the desired names (e.g. cutter_dia from d2)

fam_tab2.JPG

fam_tab1.JPG

& the column name will show both dimension id & name

fam_tab3.JPG

hope this helps

Pushkar

Well, I know about this opportunity, however, the problem is a bit different. Unfortunatelly, I cannot find any feature/dimension/or what ever which has the same name as at the top of the column in Family table. The only place I have found this name is probably in the desciption of one of defined parameters. I didn't prepare this model from the beginning and due to this it is quite problematic to find it. Maybe there is some other possibility to rename the column located in Family table?

Please add screen shot for better understanding of your question.

So you're stuck with a model someone else made, and they didn't name any of their dimensions, and you have no idea what each column in the family table refers to. I've dealt with this problem, unfortunately, and here's what I've come to accept:

(1) No, there is no way to re-name the column header from within the family table editor. This is kind of a pain, but then again, how would you know what a particular column should be named if you don't know what it refers to?

(2) To figure out what a particular column is doing, I had to go about it the same way I do when I get mysterious regeneration errors, etc. If the column title is something like "F12345", it refers to a feature, if it's "D12345" it refers to a dimension. You just have to work your way through the model tree and the features looking for the things that match the numbers in the family table. It takes a lot of work.

(3) Sometimes I have more luck going to the features and renaming the dimensions, then seeing if the titles in the family table change. It's amazing how random some people are in how they add things to a family table.

Family tables can do some neat things, but as with a lot of these types of functionality, how easy it is to understand them depends on the person implementing them.

That's true. I'm affraid it is "the best" option, or maybe rather, the only possible to find the proper feature/dimension. However, if any of you know some other way to deal with this problem, please, let me know

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mkrawczyk)

You should be able to use the find tool to locate both dimensions and features by their names.

mkrawczyk
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Actually, this method was the simplest and at the same time the best one By use of Find tool I have found it and was able to change the name of each feature. Then everything became correct and the names in columns have been changed.

Thank you all for your help and prompts

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:KenFarley)

Same thing here. A lot of family tables were a mess and took a lot of time to straighten them out and switch two columns at a time to get an order similar to the tree structure. No easy way, just plow through it a little at a time and eventually you make significant progress.

Top Tags