cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Family tables and templates????

Dex231
1-Newbie

Family tables and templates????

Hello everyone,

I have been searching for too long without much success and figured it was time to post my question and see what you professionals have got to say!

So I have a bunch of parts that are common, they vary in overall height, width, bend offset, one solid piece or two separate pieces, and either have four or two bends. So I figured the best bet to get all these parts in one location where it is faster and easier to find them would be to place them in a family table but I am not sure how to go about doing that. Should I pick one to be the generic model or just make a simple for the generic?

Next, once I have them all grouped together, I would like to know how to create a template for the drawings that will include the necessary views and dimensions. Can I just make a template for the generic model and it will filter through to all the others or not?

Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Hi

Family tables are generally shown in 2D Repeat Region Tables

If you have not used it then I can help you

Check the attached ppt

Should I pick one to be the generic model or just make a simple for the generic?

selecting a part to be generic or creating a individual part is up to you

But its always better to have an individual part as generic

Regards

K.Mahanta

K. Mahanta

Let me clarify a little bit, I plan on making a family table for the models. For instance lets say I have a bunch of bolts, I want to be able to open the part file and it will prompt me which bolt I want to open.

Then when I go to open the drawing file of any one of the bolts I would like them to all use a common template, with certain views, and certain dimensions.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Dexter

Hi

Chek this link for making family table

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorial/461/creating-a-family-table

If you have a family table with a generic and few instances, then

1.you can make a drawing with the generic

2. you can use @S in place of @D for dimensions those are variable for the instances

3. Make a table as I per the attaced ppt in earlier message

Then in the drawing you will get the table of all the instances as per family table

As you can see in the image the part numbers are the instances

untitled.JPG

If you need any clarification ; please ask

Regards

K.Mahanta

can family tables be made for already made models? I have a bunch of roll bar top loops that vary in width and height, I am wanting to put them all together in a family table, not just a folder, I want to be able to click on a file labeled top_loop for instance and then for it to list all the top loops that have been made....is this possible with already created files?

Hi

Yes You can make(But in assembly it may need to re constrain)

Steps

1.Select One top loop

2. File> Save as a copy> top_loop.prt

3.Open the top_loop.prt; Go to tools > Family table

4.Create instances as per the part numbers

5. Add the dimensions to change in new table column

6. fill the table for values(variable dimensions)

7.verify the table

8.Save the part

9.Delete old individual parts

10. Open the main top_loop part and check for the instances

Replacing in assembly

1.Open the assembly where the part is used

2.If part is missing; search for the part; select the generic first, and then select the instance

3.Reconstrain if required

Follow these steps and reply if you face any problem

Regards

K.Mahanta

Dex231
1-Newbie
(To:Dex231)

Thanks for the help with the family table....lol now how exactly do you make a template for a drawing and is it possible to only show certain dimension in each view on the template or is adding dimensions an all or nothing feature?

01.JPG

02.JPG

I hope these two pictures will clarify your doubts

2D Repeat Region Tables in the dwawing shown can show all that is in the Family Table

Regards

K.Mahanta

Top Tags