cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Flipping References

akelly
11-Garnet

Flipping References

Using WF5 M170

I've got a design problem where I'm putting a spotface on the OD of a cylinder. Challenge is that I want a specific depth at the minimum point of the spotface. E.g. if the spotface is larger, it needs to be deeper so that the same minimum shoulder is maintained. I have a solution, but I get a lot of regen failures when I change dimensions. Wondering if anyone has a solution that would be more stable.

Technique is using a surface at the same OD as the spotface. Create an intersect feature between the surface feature and the OD of the part to generate a datum curve. In the revolve feature for the spotface, I have a construction point aligned to the datum curve and a datum plane. This revolve is then a certain depth from the construction point.

When I make significant changes to the dimensions, I get regen failures in the spotface feature. The intersect curve seems to bounce back and forth between the "front" and "back" of the part, depending on the two diameters.

Attached is an example part. To reproduce the regen failure, change dimension ds_groove_width in Feature 13 (Revolve 3[1]). Change it from .4 to .8.

(Yes, I know this has "sloppy" modeling practices, but I had a lot of problems patterning features that aren't in the attached model. This is the only way I could get those other features to pattern without failing.)

TIA.

Andrew Kelly, P.E.
Design Engineer
Honeywell Sensing and Control
2080 Arlingate Lane
Columbus, OH 43228
Office: 614-850-7818
Toll Free: 800-848-6564
Fax: 614-850-1111
andrew.kelly@honeywell.com<">mailto:andrew.kelly@honeywell.com>

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
akelly
11-Garnet
(To:akelly)

All I had to do was to sketch the spotface on a plane 90 deg to the one I was using. Then I could dimension the spotface depth directly. No surfaces, curves, points, or relations needed. Model tree will make a lot more sense, too, to someone else.

Boxed myself intoone way of looking at the problemand couldn't think of it any other way. Happens from time to time.

Thanks, Brent, for the example.

Andrew Kelly, P.E.
Design Engineer
Honeywell Sensing and Control
2080 Arlingate Lane
Columbus, OH 43228
Office:
Toll Free:
Fax:
andrew.kelly@honeywell.com

Top Tags