cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

For fun and practice: Rectangular helical spring

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

For fun and practice: Rectangular helical spring

So, the last time I played with this (quite a while ago, right before my spineless/nutless stalker trolled people here), there was a little distortion in the corners where the spring got smaller.  This iteration is more complex, with a lot more features, but then I'm trying to get a lot more complex shape and I managed to eliminate most of that distortion.  You can't get all of it out because, honestly, Creo isn't meant for or 100% capable of what I'm trying to get it to do.  No matter, I got as close to perfect as I think is possible and reasonable.

Of note:  Creo flat refused to let me use a boundary blend to wrap a curve onto, at least in my application.  Also problematic were trying to use C2 continuous rounds to wrap onto, Creo seemed to like a conic round much better and the result is basically the same.  There is no "wave" to this helix as you would get in trying to use a helical spiral around an axis, as you can see by the fact that the flats are parallel to one another.

And so, have a look at the STEP file to see what's possible, and think about how it MIGHT have been done...and give it a try...

2021-06-29_WRAP_RECT_SPRING-02.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

This was WAY faster and easier, but more "artistic"....and there might even be a use for it....hmmmm...2021-06-30_SPHERE_SPIRAL-01.jpg

These were done using what us Olde Timers call VSS's (Variable Section Sweeps), which of course use a "spine", something my stalker here certainly lacks...😂🤣

Am I the only one that does stuff like this just to test myself and the boundaries of Creo then?  Nobody wants to take a stab at it?  Maybe I just need a life?  LOL  But, I can usually see possibilities for use in the things I do like this, the soil in particular.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Patriot_1776)

I think more people would be interested in having access to the native Creo model vs. trying to recreate this on their own from scratch.  I certainly wouldn't mind exploring how the different features were created to build the final result.  No matter how long someone might 'play' at building something like this, without the years of experience you have they may never be able to achieve the same finished product.  Maybe you could record a video showing how you created the model.  This would keep you from having to share the actual file while at the same time help people understand the nuances to creating something like this.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomU)

'Sup Tom!  I can e-mail the model to you if you like, just let me know.  I think I still have your e-mail.  I guess I'm interested in seeing if people might have an interest in trying stuff like this, and then directly corresponding with them instead of just putting models out there for everyone.  Too many people are just lazy and want people to do their work for them so they don't have to be bothered working for anything.  I want them to work for it a little at least.  If someone posted an interesting STEP files I'd certainly want to re-create it on my own.  "Spoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon."  🙂

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Patriot_1776)

I wish this community still have the picture gallery that the old community had.  That would have been a great place to put stuff like this.  It is amazing what kinds of things some people are able to build!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomU)

We have individual photo albums, but yeah, it seems like in many ways the Olde forum was better.  Happy to share the model if you like, just let me know!

Test

Top Tags