cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Formatting a dimension in a note as a fraction

ptc-5687618
1-Newbie

Formatting a dimension in a note as a fraction

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a hole note for general use within my company. I've got the hole note working, but it gives all dimensions as decimal. For it to be usable, some of these dimensions HAVE to be fractional, while some of the others stay decimal. Any suggestions on how best to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum.

We've had a very long discussion about converting decimal to fractions before and it is really not an easy thing..

Architectural Dimension Converter: Creo 2.0 + references

but in the hole tables, you can provide text versions of the intended drill to be used. In this case, it is a text string. It is highly dependent on using the hole tables to get this "integrated" but for a general use converter, no, you have very limited options.

The idea is that you can format your hole tables to meet your organization's requirements and using these holes in your model. The note is generated from several different parameters and lookup table (hole tables) and the resulting note is as you specify. It is not a simple undertaking, but if it is important enough, the effort my be justified.

And if you use dual dimensions, you might consider testing this before you invest a lot of time onto this.

Antonius,

Thanks for the link, hopefully I can use at least some of the information there. I had been experimenting with the hole tables, and managed to get everything I needed except the fractional formatting. Sadly, the fractions are needed for things like depth, which changes with each hole. So "simply" creating a hole in the .hol file and using that isn't an option as we would need literally hundreds of holes at a minimum.

Brian

It would be nice if PTC would allow control of dimension format on an individual basis, but this is not one they are willing to let go of. That string of relations is probably the only way you can accomplish this, and you will probably need to do it for every instance.

...or you can just make a "note" (@O3/16) of the dimension value and the heck with associativity. Or buy a decimal/fraction equivalent chart for the shop

Top Tags