cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Fractional Dimensions

jwilkerson
1-Newbie

Fractional Dimensions

As long as I am at it. Is there a way to change the default dimensions to fractions? I don't want to go in after the dimension are added and change them from decimal to fraction, like I have been doing, each and every time I do a dimension.

I have looked in the "File properties"/"Drawing Options" and it looks like I should be getting fractional dimensions but EVERY TIME, it come in as decimal.

Any thoughs? I have also attached our Drawing.dtl file.

Thanks,

Jody

Relese: WF4.0

Date Code: M100

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks again for the replies. We want to keep the model as decimal but have the dimensions on the drawings as fractions. Is this possible?

You'll have to forgive me, I am used to the AutoCAD world where I hada little moreflexibiliy in how I did things.

Thanks again,

Jody

The only way I know of keeping decimal dimensions in the model and having fractional dimenions in the drawing is to us all created dimensions in the drawing rather than any shown dimensions. Of course this has the potential of opening up the shown vs. created debate again. I'll just add that we typically use fractions for spec sheets as our customer base finds that easier to deal with, but retain the decimal for internal manufacturing purposes.

Rodney

WF4 M140

I would like to do the same thing and looked extensively for a way to do that in Wildfire 1. Fractional dimensions in the model are very limiting in precision, but our shop prefers 1/16" fractional format. I don't know if any advancements have been made, but as of WF 1 it was not possible. So I leave the default as decimal and create all my drawing dimensions. When I'm done dimensioning, I just highlight them all and convert to fractional format as mentioned above. I also have the pro-e option "use major units" set so that they show as foot-inch fractions.

In Reply to Jody Wilkerson:

We want to keep the model as decimal but have the dimensions on the drawings as fractions. Is this possible?

Thanks for all the tips on this. One would think that with the Drawing.dtl file you could override the Config.pro file for the drawings and that way you could still use the decimal dimensions in the model yet get fractional (feet-inch) dimensions in the drawing.

Thanks again. I am sure I will have more questions as I move forward. Next week I will be in Mechanica training. I hope that is not as bad as the drawing side.

Jody

TracyWillis
5-Regular Member
(To:jwilkerson)

Have some created dim's in a drawing... When I set the properties to display as "fractional" Creo2 adds a tilde (~) in front of the displayed dimension.
Shows up as ~60-11\16. I don't want the tilde in front of the value, so how can I turn that off?
I'd really prefer to not "Overwrite" the dimension just to get the display we need.

Thanks
T. Willis
gwalker
4-Participant

The config option "mark_approximate_dims" should be set to "no" (the default) to remove the tilda(~).

TracyWillis
5-Regular Member

Worked perfectly - Thank you Gordon.
Happy Friday and have a nice weekend all.
Top Tags