cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

GD&T advisor

pausob
18-Opal

GD&T advisor

I was wondering about the GD&T advisor extension after seeing this pop up when I started my Creo session:

pausob_0-1664056309039.png

Looks like I missed the webcast.  Usually the resource center isn't displayed at startup for me, but today I was borrowing a license so my startup script was bypassed.

Anyway, seems to me that the underlined callout is nonsense - I assume that the screenshot was created by someone in the marketing department who was not paying attention to the content.

So would the GD&T advisor flag such "errors"?  In this case, I am curious if the surface that defines the datum "A" is tagged, and so then when applying a control to it specifies its position with regard to datum "A", the system would alert the user, or flag this kind of a circular reference error with an underline or an exclamation mark icon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @pausob 

You are absolutely right. this GD&T callout is not proper and was mistakenly used in that way.

That being said, it allows this discussion about GD&T Advisor, which indeed can flag those kind of mistakes and help the user in applying its GD&T correctly.

My assumption is that the GD&T annotations on this model were not applied using the GD&T Advisor tool, because the tool will not allow such a creation in the first place.

However if you have such a design with existing annotations, you can run GD&T Advisor and validate the existing annotations (the validation of existing annotations is part of the GD&T Advisor Advanced license).

When you do this, GD&T Advisor will immediately flag those kind of mistakes and will also suggest you a proper GD&T characteristic if you will edit the feature.

I have managed to track down this model and ran GD&T Advisor on it, this is the result after the validation:

GDTA_Case.jpg 

Using the color constraint mode I am able to better visualize which surfaces are partially/fully constraint and make the necessary adjustments.

I can also find many errors that I need to fix in order to have correct GD&T which will fully constraint the model and will comply to the detailing standards.

Thank you for raising this point

Best Regards, 

Michael Fridman

PTC Product Manager 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @pausob 

You are absolutely right. this GD&T callout is not proper and was mistakenly used in that way.

That being said, it allows this discussion about GD&T Advisor, which indeed can flag those kind of mistakes and help the user in applying its GD&T correctly.

My assumption is that the GD&T annotations on this model were not applied using the GD&T Advisor tool, because the tool will not allow such a creation in the first place.

However if you have such a design with existing annotations, you can run GD&T Advisor and validate the existing annotations (the validation of existing annotations is part of the GD&T Advisor Advanced license).

When you do this, GD&T Advisor will immediately flag those kind of mistakes and will also suggest you a proper GD&T characteristic if you will edit the feature.

I have managed to track down this model and ran GD&T Advisor on it, this is the result after the validation:

GDTA_Case.jpg 

Using the color constraint mode I am able to better visualize which surfaces are partially/fully constraint and make the necessary adjustments.

I can also find many errors that I need to fix in order to have correct GD&T which will fully constraint the model and will comply to the detailing standards.

Thank you for raising this point

Best Regards, 

Michael Fridman

PTC Product Manager 

Top Tags