cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Gasket on Rolled Door

jwilkerson
1-Newbie

Gasket on Rolled Door

I am new to the ProE world and have spent most of my 14 years as an engineer in 2D AutoCAD. I like the 3D world but some things are very frustrating. Here is my current frustration.

I need to put a gasket on a rolled sheet metal plate. I can make the gasket with a simple sweep, but it is still flat and I need it to be rolled in the shape of the door. I tryed to make the gasket a sheetmetal part and roll it to the correct shape but it failed.

Is there any way to create a 3D trajectory sketch that can be curved to match the door?

Thanks,

Jody J. W.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Jody,

I am not an expert, so there may be an easier way to do this, but I believe this will work. It may seem like a lot of stuff to do, but it should only take you a few minutes to actually do the steps.

You can create an Intersect Curve that will follow the geometry of your door. Then, create a Protrusion to follow that curve.

Extrude a Surface - Use Edge on your existing door to match the outer geometry of your door. Make surface the same thickness as your door.
Insert an Axis at the center of the Extruded Surface
Insert a Sweep >> Surface...
Trajectory:
- Select all Edges of your Extruded Surface to define the Trajectory
Section:
- Insert a Centerline on the Axis you created
- Draw a line from the Centerline to a point some distance outside of the Surface Extrude (Be sure the distance is enough so it will extend beyond the corners of your door geometry)
- Constrain Sketch line to be in the center of the thickness of your Extruded Surface (If your door is 1" thick, you want this sketch to be 1/2" from one of the edges)
- Complete the Sweep

You should now have two intersecting surfaces.

Select both surfaces then Click Edit >> Intersect...
- A curve will be created at the intersection of these two surfaces, and should match the exterior geometry of your door.

You can now layer off the Surfaces you just created.

Next...
Insert >> Sweep >> Protrusion...

Trajectory:
- Select Curve Chain and then select the curve you just created.
Section:
- Draw the cross-section of your gasket so it surrounds your door as you want
- Complete the Protrusion

Your Gasketshould now match the shape of your door.

You can now layer off the Curve you created.

I have attached a file that has an example gasket. The examples was made using WF4.

Hope this helps...Brian

In Reply to Jody Wilkerson:

I am new to the ProE world and have spent most of my 14 years as an engineer in 2D AutoCAD. I like the 3D world but some things are very frustrating. Here is my current frustration.

I need to put a gasket on a rolled sheet metal plate. I can make the gasket with a simple sweep, but it is still flat and I need it to be rolled in the shape of the door. I tryed to make the gasket a sheetmetal part and roll it to the correct shape but it failed.

Is there any way to create a 3D trajectory sketch that can be curved to match the door?

Thanks,

Jody J. W.

Thanks to all those that replied. I finally got the variable section sweep to work using the edge of the curved door as the trajectory.

Thanks again,

Jody

Top Tags