cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Global Tolerances for a metric [english] drawing

ptc-1468484
1-Newbie

Global Tolerances for a metric [english] drawing

The real world!

I have a metric drawing that has the "lead_trail_zero" set to std_metric[std_english]. For a metric dimension like 5.50, Pro displays the dimension as 5.5. No problem so far, except for the global tolerance table in the title block. The one that has .X = +/-.5, .XX = +/-.25, and .XXX = +/-.13 or so. The design intent is 5.50 +/- .25, but since the standard drops the training zero you get 5.5 +/-.5, not good. How do you avoid this situation, maintain the metric standardsand NOT have to tolerance every dimension?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Greg,
The answer is to use the ISO tolerance system instead of the default ANSI tolerance system.
The ANSI system is really geared towards inch based sizes with the assumption that the greater the number of decimal places the tighter the tolerance you want.The ISO (and DIN) system is related to size. The smaller the dimension the tighter the tolerance, regardless of the number of decimal places. Similarly the larger the dimension the larger the tolerance regardless of the number of decimal places. You have tolerance classes to specify the standard ranges of tolerances that relate to various dimensions.
To get the ISO tolerance system in ProE (for WF4 and I think earlier WF)
Edit>Setup...>Tol Setup>Standard>ISO/DIN
Note that this will ask you for a regen and it is good to say yes. This will eliminate the ANSI tolerance text from your screen.
Once you have this ISO/DIN Tolerance standard set then you can select a Model Class of either FINE/MEDIUM/COARSE/VERY COARSE

We have the ISO tolerance system set up in our start part. We now integrate tables for the length tolerances into our title block (based on whichever tolerance class is set) as most firms do not have the relevant standard.

Here is a link to see what these tolerance classes refer to.

Thanks

Hi Brent,

I'm curious as to how you are integrating these tolerance tables with the drawing.  I understand how to create tolerance blocks for the ANSI standards (&linear_tol_0_0...), but I haven't been able to locate any similar parameters for the ISO/DIN standard.  I would prefer that these tolerance blocks get updated as the model class is changed, but I haven't been able to find a method to do this yet.

Thanks,

Drew

Top Tags