cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

joates
1-Newbie

HEEEELP! How to edit an .igs file on PTC Creo?

Hello,

I am using PTC Creo Parametric 2.0 and I really need to edit an .igs file!

I can import it and open it but i cannot modify the geometry or like modify the original sketch...I am just able to move the parts.

What I need to do is to create another sketch over the geometry and the 3D I import, cause I need to draw and add another "piece" to it.

If anyone knows how to do it please reply!

Thanks in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joates
1-Newbie
(To:joates)

Thanks for all the feedback. This was my first ever post and I’ve had some helpful replied and support. All in all its been a good vent for some of my frustrations.. to be constructive on some of the irritations:

- suggestions/feedback...? I could not find an official sections/feedback e-mail or reply page.

- 2D control drawings dimensions: when it comes to dimensions it now takes 4 clicks plus mouse movements/hovering to move a dim around and into a non default position. rather than 2 and a bit of hovering.

This may sound like a small thing to get pissed off about, but it made my time to complete my end of project tasks/work twice as long! And its not like it was not good before... Time is money and I don’t like spending it on what should be old rope.

- Open system window > purge (working directory): Its very helpful to purge your working directories when you got big asms and many components. Stops your drive filling up quick. Only accessible through Creo 2.0 when NO files are open.

View solution in original post

214 REPLIES 214
JWayman
1-Newbie

Don't beat about the bush, there, Jeremy!

Still stuck on WF2 here...

I worked in Pro\Engineer 2000i, then in Pro\Engineer WF5.0 and now I work in Creo Parametric.

Personally I prefer the last one. I think that this release is far better than previous.

But it takes time to estimate its advantages.

Jeremy,

What are you designing? Are you having challenges with specific functionality?

Worst part I hate is having to Redo ALL the Mapkeys going from Wildfire 5 to Creo II. Hopefully I won't have to do this with the future releases...

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Man, I hate hearing this. Here I was hoping that 2.0 would be better than creo. I hate creo enought that I've stayed on WF4.

Yes, every time they change something your mapkeys will not work. In all the other releases, it was a lot better since they didn't do such drastic (and stupid) GUI changes. Even the switch to the WF interface wasn't too bad, but going to creo means probably 1/2 my mapkeys, which I depend on, don't work. Pisses me off. Well, there goes my hope 2.0 is better. Guess I'll stick to WF4.....

DHLewis
11-Garnet

How long have you given the new User Interface a chance? Yes it is different, but it really is better if you follow the methodology and use a lot more right clicking. You may find that your mapkeys aren't as useful as they were before. Mapkeys from version to version have always been a nightmare, but the benefits will far outweigh the time it takes to recreate them. You really need to give it a week or two to see the benefit of the new UI.

I wouldn't base the go-no-go on mapkeys alone.

We've been around this barn before...but seriously I think you can make Creo 2 just as easy to use as WF4 or WF5 if you take the time to customize the toolbar.

Yes, I agree you shouldn't have to spend the time, etc. I get it. I'm just saying it isn't so bad that you need to run screaming from it.

The way I see it, we've got no chance of going back to the good old days. We're going to roll forward to Creo 2, 3, etc and we'll either adapt to the tool or abandon it. You can't hide out on Wildfire forever. PTC won't let you and neither will your customers.

I think there are only two possible chances for us to move forward and be happy. One: We customize the interface as much as possible to make it as simple as we can. There are quite a few customizations that can be done to slim down the interface, de-clutter it, and return it to a less "ribbon-y" layout. Two: Write our own custom interface. I'm not even sure this is possible... but if it is, I'm going to try my hand at it.

Other than that, I think we have to grin and bear it... and apply a bit of ingenuity to customizing the interface to maximum benefit.

Thanks!

-Brian

I appreciate the depth of change to the new CREO interface, but rather than rant, I'd like to know if there is a resource for users that involves a library of Config.pro files that improve the interface settings and usability of the new versions.

Is there a directory of Config.pro files with screen-shots of ribbons, working environment settings and adjustments (tweaks) to the CREO environment that have the potential to improve my work-flows?

Is there a directory of available title-block formats?

Are there printing resources that can take me out of the trial-and-error mode of failing to find a configuration that actually works on my Samsung Laser and HP-inkjet printers? I seem to continually encounter paper-jams that are caused by Pro-E, while Adobe CS-6, MS-Office and other apps seem to work fine!

I used to have a sys-admin, I used to be able to ask for help, and I used to have meaningful work.

But now, as an independent consultant I am totally dependent on my own resources. My VAR is less than responsive as I will never be a large revenue source. Therefore, spending time searching through rants endlessly for answers, work-arounds and solutions is not very productive.

With a large user base of professionals with both more experienced and better support capabilities than I have, I am constantly adapting to my clients' needs and environments. My livelihood depends on providing solutions based on delivering workable geometry.

Any suggestions for finding workable solutions? If any are out there, PTC's offerings are not readily apparent, . . .

Thanks-

-Dale

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:DHLewis)

DHLewis:

Probably been using it 7 months or more now. Hate it more the more I use it. I can;t see it being better in any way, and, in fact, drawings take easily 2 to 4 times longer than in WF4.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

What were you using before?

I agree with others, I went from 2000i to WF3. Didn't like it but I could manage. If I went cold from 2000i to Creo... I'd have been calling the credit card company to cancel payment.

Do try the upgrade tutorials. Worth every minute to re-orient yourself. Then go through them again in a week.

I still think the feedback in Creo is seriously lacking. I like smart prompts, and I like knowing where they show up on the screen. Start by opening up at least 2 message lines with the config.pro option visible_message_lines. You have to restart Creo to make it active, or just drag the bottom of the screen.

joates
1-Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback. This was my first ever post and I’ve had some helpful replied and support. All in all its been a good vent for some of my frustrations.. to be constructive on some of the irritations:

- suggestions/feedback...? I could not find an official sections/feedback e-mail or reply page.

- 2D control drawings dimensions: when it comes to dimensions it now takes 4 clicks plus mouse movements/hovering to move a dim around and into a non default position. rather than 2 and a bit of hovering.

This may sound like a small thing to get pissed off about, but it made my time to complete my end of project tasks/work twice as long! And its not like it was not good before... Time is money and I don’t like spending it on what should be old rope.

- Open system window > purge (working directory): Its very helpful to purge your working directories when you got big asms and many components. Stops your drive filling up quick. Only accessible through Creo 2.0 when NO files are open.

KrisR
1-Newbie

This may sound like a small thing to get ****** off about, but it made my time to complete my end of project tasks/work twice as long! And its not like it was not good before... Time is money and I don’t like spending it on what should be old rope.

This is most certainly not a small thing! I think it's the most important. Time IS money......and that's wasting money.

I sympathize with you......hopefully it will get a little better once the learning curve is behind you!

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Jeremy Oates wrote:

You have to do some settings for Purge to work but it is working as expected now, AFAIK. Your windows path statement requires the path to the PTC...BIN folder.

We have been discussing making the change from 1.0 to 2.0. Does the current release seem stable? From reading through all of this it appears the ribbon is the biggest complaint. Right, wrong? If anyone is working in multiple cad programs you will notice everyone has moved to the ribbon, not saying it's right but not really so bad.

On another note I never have gotten the purge command to work. You would think PTC could make it part of the normal program.

Mike

Yes, Creo 2.0 M010 is reasonably stable... much more than 2.0 F001.

Purge will work if you add the "...\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin" folder to your path statement in System Environment Variables (system Properties|Advanced|Environment Variables|System Variables|path)

You might use notepad to edit the statement as it can be quite long.

Hi Jeremy...

When you said it now takes 4 clicks to move a dimension to a non-default position, what do you mean by that? Just curious because I didn't understand what you were referring to by that statement.

Thanks!

-Brian

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite

Im starting to get annoyed with these WF4/5 > Creo posts. Drawings from my personal experience are not slower. Last week i had to finish around 38 assembly/part drawings in one day with a person who recently switched from WF5.If i was to see that Creo is worse then WF i should have seen it on that day. All the people i know that swithced from WF to Creo had no complaints.

Hi Davor...

Personal experience varies as does the expertise of the user operating Wildfire or Creo. Some people like the new interface and take to it quite well. The people who are annoyed with it are those who were really adept at using Wildfire. It takes time and effort to become truly proficient in a CAD system. Expert users have put in years of time to gain that level of proficiency. Tossing it out the window in favor of a new interface can annoy some people.

There's absolutely no way in the world you can take a user with years of Wildfire experience (we're talking WF4), move him to Creo, and have him be just as effective. When you say the user "recently switched", how long ago was this? Also... the user in question went from Wildfire 5 to Creo. It's well documented that Wildfire 5's drawing package is basically the exact same as the one in Creo 1.0. So that's not really much of a leap to make. If the guy was fast on WF5, it's doubtful the short hop to Creo would cause him much grief.

However, for someone coming from Wildfire 3 or 4... the leap to Creo is a massive change requiring substaintial effort before the user regains a base level of productivity. Some people get frustrated during that transition time and they've vented their feelings here. I don't see why you'd be annoyed at someone else's frustration over this.

If your favorite TV show features an actress you love... and suddenly mid-season they kill off her character and bring in a new person, you might be frustrated. Some people may love the new person more... others will bristle at the change. You can't be annoyed that someone ELSE is upset over the change.

Of course you can certainly be annoyed if you feel Creo is being attacked unfairly. I think this is where you're coming from.

mmm,

I love the new interface,about time they made it user friendly!

Now you don't have to be focused so much on using software, more on designing,

and i believe it's great that they are heading a direction where you can combine different modeling techniques, direct - parametric - 2D.

As long as they don't get rid of the automation possibilities I'll stick to PTC.

And I believe it's an easy transition from WF3 to creo, it's all the same buttons, just on a clearer location. + you can search the functions, love it.

Creo, not for the PHDers anymore, but for the PROducers.

How, exactly, is the ribbon "user friendly"? I find when I'm working that the RMB doesn't do anything anymore, and I have to constantly keep going back to the ribbon, and try and remember what tab does what. Do people today really need to be spoon-fed everything to get anything done? As mentioned by Brian and many others, the best, fastest, most productive, most experienced users almost universally hate the interface, the detail mode being the most offensive. So, how is it helping us that the best users are slowed down with needless feel-good graphics so the rookie users feel happy about themselves and the software?

38 dwgs in a day, really? What, you changed a symbol in each one? Try creating a dwg from start to finish.

Not sure what youre talking about Frank - theres still 3 DIFFERENT interfaces to deal with in CREO2 - MenuManager is still there, try Notes and Dimensions.

This is NOT efficient and NOT spoon feeding - OK if you know all of them but that would mean having learnt ProE earlier than Wildfire. Arent most of those users RETIRED now?

This is still the elephant in the room for PTC - reviewers of CREO have picked up on this.

Anyone who likes the Wildfire UI should stick to WF4. PTC need to get on and convert CREO fully, its taken way too long already.

Burt Land wrote:

...OK if you know all of them but that would mean having learnt ProE earlier than Wildfire. Arent most of those users RETIRED now?

Semi-retired!

lol Burt...

I know you're being serious but watching you disagree with Frank because he was being too generous with Creo made me laugh out loud. Frank lambastes the interface changes while theorizing that PTC made those changes to spoon feed rookie users. Your response is basically like saying "Quit being a cheerleader for the new interface Frank... it's far worse than you're saying!"

I just never expected someone to come back and accuse Frank of sugar coating his views on the interface.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:BurtLand)

Hah! Retirement will never be an option for me. I'll just be led out to the far pasture to be shot when I'm no longere useful!

Yeah, the menu's are total "dingoe's kidneys" as a friend put it. People used to fancy (yet less productive) menus hate the old, simple, drop-downs, but they were by far the most effective. That 1/2 my mapkeus CANNOT work now simply because of the dreaded ribbon is total garbage.

canderson
6-Contributor
(To:BrianMartin)

I agree somewhat with Davor... we need a venting forum... I come here to learn. We have to get use to interface changes... guess what .. these young guys right out of college won't complain. Veterans get too comfortable and don't want to change. We have to adapt. Venting and complaining about personal opinion on interface adds no value to anyone. If you don't like the ribbon technology then you are going to hate Microsoft and all the other applications taking the same path. Now here is my complaint. I want to resize the ribbon to gain more real estate ...

Hi Carl...

While I agree we need to keep the discussion civil, this site is a place to teach, learn, and just socialize, too. It's not only a site for help but a large virtual watercooler. I think it's helpful to hear diverse viewpoints. Some people are very passionate and their words may come out as a "rant". I see nothing wrong with this provided we remain civil and respectful of each other.

I would point out that you've made the case against complaining about the interface... and then proceeded to complain about the interface.

Maybe, if you're a veteran, you're just too used to having too much real estate to model with! After all, the young, recent college grad next to you doesn't care one way or the other. He doesn't know he's lost real estate in the first place so he doesn't bother to complain.

Much larger discussion here- the concept of Don't complain, just adapt. I cannot disagree more with the notion that we should not criticize the software. But let's take this out of the realm of software into an area where my point will be easier to grasp.

I live in the US... and over the past 30 years (especially), our rights as citizens have been steadily eroded. 30 years ago in 1982, you could smoke pretty much anywhere you wanted. Over the years we've found various "very good reasons" to limit smoking. Recall how smoking was first restricted on domestic airline flights. Most people didn't bristle at this... seemed to make sense. You're in a flying tube, maybe the smoke could be bothersome to others. Yet as time progressed, the restrictions got tighter and tighter. First there were "Non Smoking" sections of restaurants. Then... no smoking at ALL in restaurants. Then eventually, no smoking anywhere in public. And finally, no smoking in your own house or car.

Slowly citizen's personal freedoms were eroded. At first, no one noticed and no one much complained. Instead, people learned to adapt. Suddenly one day you wake up and you're being pulled over by a cop because he saw you smoking (which is legal) in your own car? At some point you've adapted too much, don't you think? At some point people's desire not to make waves has cost them in personal freedom. People are now restricted from being as flexible as they were.

This is the same with the new interface. Your screen space has been chewed up with commands... and more commands... and tabs... and more little fiddly icons and tools. If you work on Creo and you happen to be an older individual or someone with poor eyesight who needs to operate at larger resolutions, you're in deep trouble with Creo.

I keep my screen resolution as high as I can possibly get it so my commands are collapsed as small as possible. For some people with accessibility needs, this isn't possible. I had a co-worker with two 26" screens (dual monitors) because he couldn't work with Wildfire 5 on one single screen. Creo would've killed this particular gentlemen. At some point PTC will be sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act for discriminating against people with sight problems. Think it can't happen?

The point is that criticism is valid and, I'd suggest, critical. The mantra "shut up and adapt" hasn't done any favors for PTC's software just as it hasn't done any favors for citizens of my country.

Personally I do not care for the ribbon. I was faster without it. So, I spend my time customizing the screen as much as possible so I can minimize the ribbon and ignore it. I am not choosing to adapt. I'm choosing to force the software to adapt to ME. I want quick access to commands. Furthermore, I would make the case that I can run circles around the guys right out of college because I've tailored my tool to optimize my efforts. They're working "out of the box" while I am working with a focused set of tools that allows me to maximize my output (and my screen space coincidentally).

I think letting PTC know my frustrations with the new interface is healthy. Sure, I can customize and fiddle with the interface to try to alleviate its intrusiveness. But shouldn't I let the company know that I don't like their development decision? Isn't there something to be gained by expressing my concerns? Isn't it good to question authority... and ask for justification for changes that promise to restrict my flexibility and freedom?

Not only do I believe we have the right to ask these questions... I believe we have the obligation to speak up! All change is not necessarily good... and it's not necessarily the right move to adapt just to avoid conflict.

Just my opinion...

I agree with Don't complain, just adapt - not adapt oneself but UI

just add the line "disable_ribbon_ui yes" in config.pro

also one may has config.win file as well

The example with smoking may consider as expanding freedom (for non-smoking)

Nah... c'mon Robert. You can't say having the government pound on your door to prevent you from smoking in your own home is increasing anyone's freedom. By the way, I'm not a smoker... that was just an example. Other examples abound.

who cares about smoking in your own home? I mean not Big Brother but your relatives for example. Give them chance of fresh air for a change. (I dont mean you for you are not a smoker)

As for Creo (Pro/E) we have a freedom to adapt it in contrast to MS Office and other ribboned soft.

Top Tags