cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Has anyone modeled their house?

cncwhiz
1-Newbie

Has anyone modeled their house?

I am going to model my house inside and out as time allows. We are looking at couches and I am going to build my living room assembly so we can see different layouts. Lets see what you have.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
17 REPLIES 17

Personally, I would use sketchup
<">http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/index.html>

There are readily available models to use for furniture in the 3D
Warehouse http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-model-by-photomatching-in-
google-sketchup-8.html> .

I was able to mockup an accurate design for a deck on my neighbor's
house using this.

I took an oblique corner view of their house and projected to onto a
simple model of their house. I then tweaked the model to be an accurate
representation of the facade of their house and started designing. I
was able to show them an accurate model of a deck with a photo-realistic
view of their house as well to see how it would look. This was all with
the free version.

Yes, I am a fan of Sketchup...

Christopher F. Gosnell

FPD Company

124 Hidden Valley Road

McMurray, PA 15317

I'm doing it too just for fun. I got 2 projects. One is to design a nice
brick fence/wall and the other is to add an extension. I'm just the cad
guy and my wife is the lead engineer 🙂

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:cncwhiz)

I used Sketchup when I finished my basement. It worked well, but it was
frustrating at first as I was trying to drive it like I would Pro/E.
It's not Pro/E and once I came to terms with how it worked, it worked
well.

That was several years ago, I would suspect it works better now.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I have done this before when time permitted. Most of the time I would do it in AUTOCAD. 2D is much quicker and for my purposes it did the job. I would print it out at a certain scale, Ex: 1/8" = 1' and make cut outs of all the furniture and let my wife arrange to her hearts content, and then move the furniture once. Well most of the time it was once. 😉

It would be neat to do in 3D, then you could shade it, etc.

~Doug

I'm not shy - not really proud of the model, either - it is kinda hokey. But I had fun and didn't have to pay an architect to give the contractors drawings. I wish I had made a model of "before", so I could remember what the place looked like. I think I did this in WF3, but I don't have it installed. The upload is a backup from WF4. I chose to do an assy so we could swap out different wall configurations without much hassle.

I agree - Sketchup is likely much more friendly to this type of modeling. My my gramma used to say "The way to go is the way you know"

-Nate

I've built a model in Sketchup, too. It's not exactly complete or to a
'presentation' standard, but it has detail where I've needed it to plan
projects like insulating and boarding the loft, or constructing a
built-in wardrobe, and it's been incredibly useful for that. We've
recently started exploring options for an extension, too.

Like Doug Schaefer said, Sketchup has its own quirks and like all
modelling packages you sometimes have to work out how to trick it into
doing what you want. Having said that I took to it really quickly - it
has Pro/E zoom/spin/pan controls, and AutoCAD selection box behaviour,
so it fits well with the two packages I use at work!

It desperately needs a decent fillet tool, though...

Jonathan

body{font-family: Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color: #ffffff;color: black;}I did a model of my house for a bedroom addition I did a couple years ago. The city was being real picky and wanted drawings of everything, including exterior elevations. It was cumbersome in Pro, as creating individual extrusions for walls and such are time consuming, but it worked and was kinda fun. The hard part was the places where I had to show individual boards (trusses for the roof). It was fun trying to make a toilet in the least number of features. It only needed to be good enough to show well on a floor plan, but I also usedshaded viewsto show the wife what it would actually look like.Efficient? no. Fun? yes. Jeff
Subject: Has anyone modeled their house?

I am going to model my house inside and out as time allows. We are looking at couches and I am going to build my living room assembly so we can see different layouts. Lets see what you have.

Yeah Its nice. I like the print out. What I did/I'm doing is to create in
pro and export to Sketchup... no PDMlink needed just upload the model to
the library Smiley Happy. I haven't had good luck with scales and color export. I do
the same with blender.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Hodgson, Jonathan P <
-> wrote:

> ve built a model in Sketchup, too. It’s not exactly complete or to a
> ‘presentation’ standard, but it has detail where I’ve needed it to plan
> projects like insulating and boarding the loft, or constructing a built-in
> wardrobe, and it’s been incredibly useful for that. We’ve recently started
> exploring options for an extension, too.****
>
> ** **
>
> Like Doug Schaefer said, Sketchup has its own quirks and like all
> modelling packages you sometimes have to work out how to trick it into
> doing what you want. Having said that I took to it really quickly – it has
> Pro/E zoom/spin/pan controls, and AutoCAD selection box behaviour, so it
> fits well with the two packages I use at work!****
>
> ** **
>
> It desperately needs a decent fillet tool, though…
>

Yeah so what are the rules on modeling truses and such? they don't expect
nails right? just I'm hoping for some minimal detail views and then
everything else make it a solid wall extrusion rather than detail the
little pieces.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

A few years ago I had the student version of Pro/E 2001. It did the job but was annoying. So then I purchased Home Designer Software. The Suite version. Now that is fun to work with. Love it!

Granted, nothing beats free like Sketchup but for $100 you can get some pretty sophisticated features included. There is also a lower priced version for $59. It can even export out allthe materials you would need to a file.

Steve Galayda

nuheht
1-Newbie

I have done a few houses, but I also was charged with designing a large addition to the plant of GS Electric in Chambersburg, PA. Everything from overhead doors, windows, stairs, railing, work stations with all the tables, cabinits, and chairs, and the rest rooms. It was fun. The toilets even had clear blue water in them! (One thing only a few people cought was that one of the toilets wasn't flushed! ...sick, I know, but I was having fun throughout the entire project, was a lot younger back then too).

I used HDS too. I frankly did not like it much. I guess that saying about
the best way is the way you know applies.

I downloaded the free version of sketchup. I only looked at a getting started at the getting started video. I also looked at the file format it makes. It does not look like pro engineer knows the file extension. I would like to swap files back and forth between the two programs.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

I don't think the free version of Sketchup will import or export to any
neutral formats like IGES or STEP. You gotta go pro for that.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

even with the pro version, the list of file types for 3d export is very limited. unfortunately, iges and step arent on it.

Laura Woodward
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Saab Training, LLC
Orlando, FL
(407) 281-3012

I have not actually tried it yet but the open source cad program FreeCAD says it will import and export IGES and STEP. It also looks to have an Architectural mode also to make houses and buildings. There are tutorial videos on YouTube. Also has a render package.

Ron

I modeled my house in 3D wireframe AutoCad about 19 years ago. I remodeled a portion in Pro to do some metal stairs. Pro is much easier than Acad and I was doing working drawing for the metal work so it wasn't much different than a normal mechanical drawings.

David
Top Tags