cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Here's a couple of suggestions for enhancements for ya PTC:

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Here's a couple of suggestions for enhancements for ya PTC:

1. That the "sheet metal" functionality is in ADDITION to all the other functionality, not in place of it. So that you can build something that may look like sheet metal, and be unfolded etc., but with other features so, for instance, the flat pattern may be actually an injection-molded part, with other features. I have a part (flew wiring harness) I need to modify with a spinal bend, and can't, because the part was made in sheet metal mode because the first guy couldn't figure out how to do it any other way. I can't modify this part at ALL to do what I want because the wall that I need to bend or modify has had material removed from both sides with cuts. I need to completely remodel it as described below. Which brings me to:

2. Allow spinal bends in assemblies like you can do with toroidial bends. I have a flex circuit (2 parts: traces and insulation) that I need in 3 different states: flat, flat with a slight jog only on the leads, and jogged at the leads and further along it's length. So, for now, I'm forced to remodel the part as a family table where one instance is the trace/leads, one where that is jogged at the leads, and another with 2 jogs. Then I need 2 more instances with the insulation in 2 states, flat, and jogged along it's length. I'm going to do both the traces/leads and the insulation as a family table part so I can use the same curves to control everything, and since it's one part number as bought from the vendor, it makes sense. Then I've got to make the assembly have 3 instances as well, to match the 3 states needed. I'll post pics later. What a pain to have to do it this way. If I could simply model the part flat, then jog it at the leads for the lower-level assembly, then jog that assembly of heater and flex at the higher-level assembly, life would be SO much easier.

So, how about we do these ACTUAL real-world enhancements, do away with that counter-productive rubbish called the ribbon, and change the GUI back to something that works?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Frank,

I agree, PTC needs to make upgrades to their software, not downgrades. However, I think you're asking to much of the company. This would require them to care about their cusotmers, and provide a product that gets better with time in accordance with how their customer uses it. I don't think PTC is capable of any of this.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:ptc-893484)

Hah! Sadly, I have to agree. I've bene contacted by them so I can spend hours of my free time to help them, but they've never offered to do anything for me in return. Sorry PTC, I was a sucker the first few times, no more. You want me to develop your software FOR you, you'll be giving me something in return. Oh, and lest you forget, I'M the customer, not you.

Hey Frank, have you heard about the cool new 3rd party plugin???

Its called SolidWorks

I agree that the sheetmetal is a tradeoff for doing the complete job. Again, we are limited to knowing programming to be able to add very simple features like true representations of pierce and extrude or integrating PEM hardware in the part file (very common inseparable assembly concept).

You missed the part about actually giving us actual spline control!

Should I go on

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Bwahaha! Well, at least now that I've figured out that a complete re-model is going to have to be done, I can start instead of wasting time trying to fix something.

Top Tags