cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How do I change which side the dimension is referencing from?

Gnbay2
1-Newbie

How do I change which side the dimension is referencing from?

I am trying to remake a model I have in fusion 360 in Creo and This tool is seriously infuriating me. This is why I am turning to the community for help.

I am trying to dimension a square so that it is 5.5mm from the line on the right but creo automatically selects the line on the left and I have spent a good hour trying to change it so that it references from the right but I can't figure it out. The dimensionning tool IN GENERAL, doesn't ever work. I have never been able to click on it, then click on a segment I want to dimension and have it complete successfully.

Please, someone help me, am I dumb or is it the software that's dumb?

help

fusion 360.png

Creo.png

  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gnbay2
1-Newbie
(To:Gnbay2)

omg I just figured out how to use that tool, I still hold my claim that it's slightly, weird that you have to middle click to get the dimension you want, why not just left click the first then left click the second like every other cad software?

SOLUTION: click dimension tool, left click on the thing you want to dimension / the two lines that encapsulate the space you want to dimension. Then, MIDDLE CLICK and you have the desired dimension

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gnbay2
1-Newbie

I managed to get something working, I notices that there were dashed lines on that left side, I got rid of them, added one on the right and a dimension popped up. 

Why create a dimension tool if it doesn't work?

Gnbay2
1-Newbie

omg I just figured out how to use that tool, I still hold my claim that it's slightly, weird that you have to middle click to get the dimension you want, why not just left click the first then left click the second like every other cad software?

SOLUTION: click dimension tool, left click on the thing you want to dimension / the two lines that encapsulate the space you want to dimension. Then, MIDDLE CLICK and you have the desired dimension

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

The desired technique you describe is how it *used* to work. But the disease of trying to make everything work the same way as Windows infected Creo and now we have what you were forced to do. The efficiency of working with Creo has been diminished so that someone new could (allegedly) have an easier time of it for their first two weeks.

Oh well.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

LMB to select entities to dimension and MMB to place the dimension is the correct technique.

This allows you to dimension an entity or the relationship between two entities.  Also, where you place an angle dimension determines the angle.  Selecting an arc or circle once gives a radius; selecting it twice gives a diameter.  Placing a dimension between two points gives the distance between, while placing it away from between gives a vertical or horizontal dimension.

The technique gives you more control over the result with one tool, rather than multiple dimension tools.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags