cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How do I get an ECAD exported .IDF file to reference my 3D STEP database when importing to Creo?

ptc-5426502
1-Newbie

How do I get an ECAD exported .IDF file to reference my 3D STEP database when importing to Creo?

Hi,

I am trying to pass an ECAD .IDF file from Mentor Graphics Expedition into CREO Direct Modeling 18.1 (with PCB licence). So far all of the components import with component outlines and height properties but have no details associated with them. (part pins, bga balls etc.) Only square blocks appear.

I have a database of 3D STEP models in a separate directory and i would like the .IDF file to reference this folder and use the detailed STEP models as parts for the imported PCB.

From what ive read the 3D models need to be in .prt or .asm format to reference them properly. I have not found a thread that explains this process.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5426502)

For the PCB module in Creo Elements/Direct Modeling, the component part files should be in ".MIBS" format.

I'm not an expert, but the process would be to first load the STEP files into Modeling. Then, in the the PCB Model menu, you need to assign a ModelName and Part Type to each model using the "New" command. Then you need to create a library (or libraries) for the parts (local directory, network directory, or ModelManager). Finally you can use the "Store All" or "Store One" command to store your models. These files will be in ".MIBS" format.

Thanks Peter,

I think your right.. I assumed we could create a link to have CREO reference the STEP models directly but as you say, the library needs to be fully reconstructed in MIBS format. Another important part when creating the new library is to associate the STEP models with the proper origin. this has turned into a very time consuming project since when you import the STEP model of a component into CREO it comes in as an assembly and not a part.. All of the pins and component bodies need to be "united" to form a part, then saved to the library with the same name. ..was hoping for a more automated solution.

Thanks again for the reply,.

When you want to open a ECAD file in Creo there will be two formats given by electrical people ie.emn and emp file. First select emn file and then automatically it will ask for emp file to be opened and after that it will ask for the option whether you want all the holes and so on because electrical people would have given more holes for their routings but if we import all those holes it may take longer time. So suppress those holes by giving the option none. Then the ECAD file will be imported into CREO successfully.

If any help required you can contact me directly to 8790532620 by sending the mail to -

To use existing Creo models during the *.IDF import, you will need to add a new coordinate system 'ECAD_DEFAULT' to your existing CAD models.

Top Tags