cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How do I save images of parts that are suitable for patent applications (i.e. no shading, single outline edges)?

rjethwa
5-Regular Member

How do I save images of parts that are suitable for patent applications (i.e. no shading, single outline edges)?

Hi.

I have parts designed in Elements/Direct that I need to save as images for submission in a patent application. These images must not have any shading and single black outline edges else they will be rejected.

I have experimented in the Part Properties and Realism pop-out menu, but can't get what I need. The best I can do is to turn off 3d shading in the Realism menu and just show the edges. However, with these settings, faces that curve away out of view do not have a line showing that surface that you see tangentially from that perspective. Hope you know what I mean.

What settings do I need to choose or is there some other way to generate unshaded images with solid black edge outlines?

Thanks

Rajesh

12 REPLIES 12
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rjethwa)

Toby Metcalf‌ can move this to the Creo Elements/Direct‌ forum to get the right eyes on it.

I don't know how Elements direct works but have you thought about making simple drawings to get the views you need?

Good day Rajesh - as Stephen Williams‌ suggested, would you like me to move this?

Best,

Toby

rjethwa
5-Regular Member
(To:Tmetcalf)

Hi Toby

Yep, sounds fine to move, thanks.

Stephen - what do you mean when you say 'simple drawings'? It that a specific function/option?

Thanks

Rajesh

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Drawings are the typical method of sharing information within 3d models. This one was done in Creo Parametric not Elements direct.

I'm sure that elements/direct has a drawing/drafting function but I am not familiar with the software.

Image below is a drawing of a tool we provide.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:StephenW)

Youtube has a lot of tutorials. I searched for creo element direct drafting tutorial

Creo Elements/Direct Drafting - YouTube

tivancso
14-Alexandrite

Hello Rajesh,

You will need to use the Annotator (Annotation) module in Creo Elements/Direct Modeling to create 2D views of parts/assemblies. You can create Isometric views and then simplify the contents of the views by removing hidden lines, tangential lines, etc.. from the view.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Thom 

rjethwa
5-Regular Member
(To:tivancso)

Thom - Aha... yes, I see that's what I need.

So I have tried having a go with that, but I only seem to be able to view individual parts from the different axis; can't get multiple pieces to show at the same time.  I have tried (again) looking for tutorials on YouTube, but can't find anything specific on just Annotation - any suggestions on this would be great please?

Many thanks

Rajesh

tivancso
14-Alexandrite

Hello Rajesh,

The only way to add multiple parts into a single view is to have them set-up as an assembly in Modeling, then choose the assembly as the top level that the views will be created from.

Regards,

Thom

rjethwa
5-Regular Member
(To:tivancso)

Yep, that's what I tried.  In the Owner field, I add the name of the assembly, and when I press the green tick, I see the model briefly flash up but no resulting ISO diagram, just a cyan hatched box with view title written in the box.  I'm sure it must be something simple to show the actual assembly

tivancso
14-Alexandrite

Hello Rajesh,

So if I understand correctly, you are getting an outline on the drawing with the title under it but no visible outlines.

If that is the case then you can use the Update View command to create the 2D geometry within the view.

2016-09-15_13-38-16.jpg

Regards,

Thom

Example at the moment unfortunately only for Express6

Included a Configuration as an idea

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )

PS:

Exemple comes from

Hilfeseite SolidDesigner - 3D Modelle

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )
Top Tags