cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How do you warp a section of a part?

Carmen
1-Newbie

How do you warp a section of a part?

I have two shapes (a cylinder and a cuboid) attached to each other and I just want to warp the cuboid protruding out into a twist.

However, when I select the warp tool and I select which shape I want to warp (under references > geometry) , both shapes are highlighted and there is no way of just selecting the cuboid by itself. I've attached a photo to show the two shapes highlighted.

So, how do I warp a shape without affecting other dimensions of the other shapes (e.g. the cylinder)?

The only way I can think to do it is to warp the cubiod first, then attach tge cylinder, however I have already done a lot of work on my cylindrical shape and do not want to restart my project.

Thank you.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:Carmen)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You alternative is the best bet but you do have an option within the warp feature. Just move the marquee (the frame) to be above the cylindrical feature.

Back to the optimal method however; If you isolate the cuboid you can move its features before the cylinder features and move the "insert here" to just above the cylinder features. Now you can warp the cuboid and if the cylinder features are not related, they should regenerate just fine when you resume them.

It is very common practice to re-arrange features in the tree, and to be mindful as what is related to what. In the long-run, it all aides in making a model sustainable.

Thank you for the speedy reply!

I'll give that a go!

Carmen
1-Newbie

I'm having trouble moving the marquee during warping. Can you explain how to do that?

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I tried to do what I recommended and I don't have control of the marquee as I thought I did.

You will probably have to go through the process of separating the cube from the cylinder; re-arrange the features in the tree; and use the warp before the cylinder features. You might also look at spinal bend. I find it a little more controllable than warp for this instance.

Of course, you could just make the cube the actual shape you wanted without using distortion features

And to make it even more complicated, you could make the cube from sheetmetal and bend it if you are trying to preserve distortions that occur in the features placed on/in the cube.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve... but if you are using the warp as a crutch, I might suggest learning the alternatives. There are simply too many ways to accomplish what you are asking to know exactly how to deal with it.

But I will say, the Warp feature is relatively new and it is very poorly implemented. I am assuming this is an attempt by PTC to remove some of the older menu manager versions of similar tools. PTC hasn't nailed it yet and marquee manipulation is huge part of it.

Top Tags