cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to Bend Geometry with Direction Control?

ByDesign
9-Granite

How to Bend Geometry with Direction Control?

Please see the image.  It is a side view of a part, with the sketch of the proposed bend. I need to bend just the end (above the sketch) so it follows the sketch (which I can do easily with a spinal bend), BUT I need to control the orientation so things that are vertical (as in this view) remain vertical when complete.

Geometry with the sketch to form.Geometry with the sketch to form.

Normally, with a Spinal Bend, the geometry follows the curve and makes the geometry "wrap" with the curve, meaning things that started vertical will be perpendicular to the spine (sketch shown above).  I want the vertical things to stay vertical, but the shape to "droop" to follow the curve.

I don't remember for sure, but it seems like there used to be projection controls with a spinal bend to do this.  (Not AREA controls.)  I feel like I've done it in the past.

This part geometry is complex enough that I can't really create it in the correct shape.  The part is quite deep (into the screen from the view above) with many features in this area.  Most of the part is not seen in the image, and needs to remain "Flat".

I copied all the surfaces, cut off the end, and bent the surface with a spinal bend.  I tried all sorts of the area controls, but it's not area I'm trying to control, so that did not pan out.  I looked at flipping the spinal bend vertical so I can squish this geometry vertically, which works, but it's all or nothing.  I don't know how to vary the squish.  This is Creo 9.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this task?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It seems that the "Sculpt" tool in the Warp feature might be useful?

pausob_0-1692138115382.png

Thing is - in Creo 4, this is a very "freehand" type of 3D modeling.

pausob_1-1692138199102.png

I do believe in latest version (Creo 10?) you can have the marquee follow a sketched curve.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I suppose I should "SHOW" the spinal bend.  Spinal Bend has the geometry follow the curve perpendicular to the curve.  I need it to follow the curve with sections staying in the same plane as original.  This image shows INCORRECT geometry in orange, shadow of original geometry in wireframe.

Spinal Bend follows the curve perpendicular to the curve.Spinal Bend follows the curve perpendicular to the curve.

It seems that the "Sculpt" tool in the Warp feature might be useful?

pausob_0-1692138115382.png

Thing is - in Creo 4, this is a very "freehand" type of 3D modeling.

pausob_1-1692138199102.png

I do believe in latest version (Creo 10?) you can have the marquee follow a sketched curve.

ByDesign
9-Granite
(To:pausob)

That's the ticket !!  Thank you @pausob .  I had forgotten all about WARP.  Guess it's been a while.

can-it-bend-3.png

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Top Tags