cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How to Model Eliptical Dome

ssharma-2
4-Participant

How to Model Eliptical Dome

Hi,

Can anybody pls help, i need to model a part as per the attached image.

part.JPG

Thanks,

Shashank

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ssharma-2)

The way I have done is to build 1/4 of it using curves, then use those curves to create a surface. Once you have 1/4 surface, you can mirror the surface to get 1/2 then mirror again to get the  whole. Then merge the surfaces. Once merged, you can solidify or add thickness as needed.

N8
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Here's one approach:

2X conic sketches

rectangle boundary blend trimmed back

4 sided boundary around perimeter

dome.png

Hi Steven,

i've taken your file, reduced number of sketches, added normal and tangency costraints to boundary blends and substituted style feature (requires license) with a simple boundary blend.

Take a look if you're interested. Creo 3.0 file attached.

Cattura.PNG

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Probably not blended as nice, but since there is nothing defining that in the original post. IT'S PERFECT!

DOMYTHINGY.JPG

Attached is my effort to model this by creating one corner using boundary blends and then 2 mirrors to get the entire part. I added some intermediate curves in both directions to help control the blending and eliminate or minimize any ridges. I have not used style features so did not attempt using them to possibly improve the smoothness.

eliptical done part.JPG

From a purely stylized perspective, I like the attached version.  Just difficult to control specific dimensions.

Creo 3.0 commercial version attached.

style_dome.PNG

prt0021a is closely scaled to the original.  If I was better at manipulating the primitive, it would be darn close.

style_dome_2.PNG

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Smooooooth!    Nice work!

Top Tags