cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dimension a hole to a datum axis

KevinBradberry
Participant

How to dimension a hole to a datum axis

Do you want to dimension a hole to a datum axis? Try this.

I originally posted this for use in a discussion, but it also seems to be a good fit for the How to video challenge.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to dimension a hole to a datum axis

Its easy to choose an axis as a reference for a dimension, but you must then choose a second reference.  If you want the dimension to the axis to maintain a straight line from the hole center to the axis, then it appears that the second reference cannot be on a plane that is parallel or perpindicular to one of the planes that the axis is contrained to. I know that is a big sentence, and I hope the video and some experimenting will help it make sense.

I have not studied all possibilities for choosing references for holes, I am only commenting on the technique seen in the video.

Kevin, you should enter this into the How-to Video Challenge

I made it for a discussion with Kris Rowlands, but I guess I'll enter it.

Announcements