cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

How to dimension a hole to a datum axis

KevinBradberry
5-Regular Member

How to dimension a hole to a datum axis

Do you want to dimension a hole to a datum axis? Try this.

I originally posted this for use in a discussion, but it also seems to be a good fit for the How to video challenge.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Its easy to choose an axis as a reference for a dimension, but you must then choose a second reference.  If you want the dimension to the axis to maintain a straight line from the hole center to the axis, then it appears that the second reference cannot be on a plane that is parallel or perpindicular to one of the planes that the axis is contrained to. I know that is a big sentence, and I hope the video and some experimenting will help it make sense.

I have not studied all possibilities for choosing references for holes, I am only commenting on the technique seen in the video.

Kevin, you should enter this into the How-to Video Challenge

I made it for a discussion with Kris Rowlands, but I guess I'll enter it.

Top Tags