cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to draft this edge?

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

How to draft this edge?

I am trying to figure out how to fix this part. It needs min 4 degrees of draft all the way around. Removing material 100% of the way.  I think some kind of sweep, but not sure as the bottom edge will always change up and down around the part.

The picture with the red is incorrect but gives the idea of what I mean by the bottom edge going up and down.

edge1.JPGedge2.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Inoram)

Well, close enough. Using the word draft is probably misleading.

edge3.JPG

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:Inoram)

That does look challenging.  The 1st thing that would be helpful would be to apply a curve at the tangency of the 4 degree draft.  I don't know if you were able to establish this or not.

In our line of work we have to have draft in all of our dies as well.  Typically I will build my base part with the draft and not do this work in the die itself.  We need to have progressively tighter angles in the impressions in the dies and it is helpful to have this controllable parametricly.  I'm not saying that this is easy.  Typically my construction cross sections will have the draft applied.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:pimm)

Yes, it turned into mostly a 2 rail sweep, with using some projections and some intersections to make the rails to sweep with. This had to be 100% removing material as this was already cut into steel and I was asked to update it.

Top Tags